pregnancy question

By July 18, 2009 - 7:43am

I am married and had sex on the 17th of july and my menstrual cycle varies everymonth. I had my period on the 11th of july. my last period were on june the 10th. I guess I have 31 day cycle. I had sex because my husband and I really want a baby. had sex on the 17th of july. Can I be pregnant.

It's great that you are educating yourself on your body, as well as conception. Please read the information that susan c and miscortes provided, and let us know if you have any specific questions.

You may not have "missed" your ovulation; there is no exact science to having an egg fertilized. In fact, there is only a 20% chance each cycle that an egg is fertilized! Having intercourse every night is not recommended for everyone, unless you are within the window of knowing when you are most fertile, as the man's sperm does not have time to replenish. Many experts recommended having sex every-other-night.

It takes many couples up to a year to conceive---be patient, and have fun!

we have sex everynight almost.

I haven't been taught any methods. and I don't know any thing about reproductive cycle because is against my religion to talk about it. I just started so I don't know anything. How did I miss my ovalation because as soon as I was done with my periods me and my husband had sex and I don't think I missed it. I don't understand I need help I am desperate. thanks

Hi epetro

You don't have to use an ovulation kit - women have been getting pregnant for a long time without them!

From the link I gave you - here's the information that can help you conceive:

"On average, a woman’s menstrual cycle is 28 days long, but it can vary—from approximately 17-36 days. Day 1 of your menstrual cycle begins on the first day of your period. Between Day 7 and 11, the lining of your uterus begins to thicken, preparing for a fertilized egg to implant. Around Day 14 of a 28-day cycle, changes in hormones cause a mature egg to be released from an ovary and travel down a fallopian tube toward your uterus. It is here that a sperm may fertilize the egg, and if this occurs and the egg attaches to the lining of the uterus, pregnancy occurs.

When trying to get pregnant, it is helpful to know when the egg is released, as that is the best time to achieve a pregnancy. The table below describes four of the most common methods that can be used to track when you are most fertile each month.
Method :
Basal body temperature
This method involves taking your basal body temperature (BBT) each morning at the same time before you get out of bed and recording it on a chart . For this method you will need to purchase a BBT thermometer at a drug store for about $10, since the thermometer must be accurate enough to detect temperature changes of at least 1/10 of a degree. During your menstrual cycle, your body temperature is lower (96-98ºF) until ovulation. On the day of ovulation, your temperature will rise between 0.4 and 0.8ºF, and remain at that level until your period starts. Once your temperature stays at this higher level (97-99ºF) for three days, it is likely that you ovulated. Your most fertile days are the 2-3 days before your temperature hits its highest point, and the 12-24 hours after you have ovulated. Since you may not see the temperature rise until the day after ovulation, this method is best used to track your ovulation pattern over the course of a few months and begin to learn how to predict when you will ovulate.

With the calendar method, you will use a calendar to track your menstrual cycle for 8-12 months. Circle Day 1 (the first day of your period) on the calendar. Since cycle lengths can vary, make a list of the number of days of your cycle each month (i.e., Day 1 through the day before your next period).

* To find the first day when you are the most fertile, subtract 18 from your shortest cycle, and mark an X on your calendar on this day of each cycle. (For example, if your shortest cycle was 27 days, the first day you are the most fertile will be Day 9 of your cycle; 27-18=9.)
* To find the last day you are fertile, subtract 11 from your longest cycle and draw an X through this date. (For example, if your longest cycle was 29 days, the last day you are fertile will be Day 18 of your cycle; 29-11=18.)

Since this method cannot pinpoint the exact day you ovulate, it should be used in combination with other methods.

Cervical mucus
If you use the cervical mucus method, you will track changes in your cervical mucus (the fluid at the opening of your cervix) during your cycle. Hormonal changes that control ovulation also affect the type and quantity of cervical mucus. Right after your period, there will be a few days of little or no mucus, known as “dry days.” As the egg starts to mature, the quantity of mucus increases, and is usually white or yellow and cloudy and sticky. Just before ovulation (the “wet days”), the greatest amount of mucus appears, and it will be clear, slippery, and sometimes stretchy, similar to raw egg whites. Again, your most fertile days are just before and just after ovulation."

Epetro - You do need to have sex more than one time per month to increase your chances of conceiving. It can happen just that one time, of course, if you get lucky and pick the right time. But again, having sex every other day, especially days 10-21 (this means starting 10 days after the first day of your period) will be a good way to not miss ovulation.

If you had your period on July 11th and had sex on July 17th, this means you had sex on day 6 of you cycle and only on that day. On average, this would mean you missed ovulation by anywhere from 4 days to two weeks. You may ovulate on day 6 but it's not likely. You need to keep track of you dates on a calendar.

Were you taught these methods growing up? How much do you know about your reproductive cycle?

Have you been trying for a long time or have you just started?

that's the only date after my period. I don't want to take an ovalation kit because is against my religion. I don't know what to do. I need help

Hi epetro

As miscortes said, an ovulation kit can help you.

Also, how often are you having sex? You only mentioned one date that month - while it only takes one time to get pregnant, you may want to start having sex more, in order not to miss ovualtion. Once a month may be all it takes but most couples need more than that. Having sex every other day from days 10 to 21 (or all month, if you like!) will ensure you don't miss ovulation. Sperm remains alive and well for up to 72 hours so if you skip a day, it's fine.

Good luck to you. I am linking you to our fertility and menstrual cycle page to give you more information on the best ways to ensure you maximize you chances of pregnancy. Click here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/fertility-and-your-menstrual-cycle

Does it help you?

Thank you for your question. It appears from your question that you are now only 7 days from your last period. You may want to wait until next month to see if you miss a period.

There are ovulation tests that you can purchase from drug stores that will tell you when you are ovulating and that is the best time for you to become pregnant. Usually, you ovulate 14 days after the beginning of your period but many people are different and the tests will certainly help you determine your ovulation time.

I hope this helps and good luck on your venture to conceive.