Prolonged menstraul cycle

I'll be 48yo in a matter of days, back in Feb my cycle started being more eradic, usually starting up to two weeks late then starting on time the following month. This month I started on time but have been menstrating for 2.5 weeks (light to medium flow). I'm thinking this is perimenopause but wondering if I should visit my Dr. ? My mom had a Hx of fibroids, w/hysterectomy. I have not had any fibroids, as far as I know. I've had two children. I also have never had any PMS issues, currently no hot flashes, weight gain or any other signs /symptoms of perimenopause.

Thanks for reaching out to EmpowHER with your question and happy birthday in advance!

It does sound like peri-menopause is kicking in. But since you have a family of fibroids and you are bleeding for rather a long time (even for menopause or perimenopause) then a checkup is a good thing. I would certainly call my doctor if I were bleeding that extensively.

Fibroids are more commonly seen in women in their 30s and 40s so you're in the right age group. Read more about fibroids here: http://www.empowher.com/uterine-fibroids/content/uterine-fibroids-and-their-symptoms

Uterine Fibroids

Uterine Fibroids Guide