RA or Sjogren's

I was recently diagnosed with RA. Or was I??? I have joint pain and stiffness. My RA factor and Sedrate are off the charts high but my doctor says that I do not completely fit the RA catagory. Other blood factors are not registering for RA. So she tested me for Sjogren's... yes, I am positive for this as well but do not completely fit this disorder either. I am feeling frustrated and am looking for anyone who has had a similiar experience. RA is huge in my family. My mother completely overcome by the disease and my Aunt who was diagnosed as a child with Juvenile RA. She is now overcome with the disease.

Dear Anon

Thanks so much for your question and I'm sorry to read you are dealing with so many health issues. RA is a terribly difficult condition at times as is Sjogren's.

Not all patients are "text book" cases when it comes to their conditions. Some fit certain aspects to a T, and not others.

Many people are actually diagnosed with Sjogren's after they test positive for RA. One does not always follow the other but it's very common. And both are auto-immune diseases, as I'm sure you know.

Anon, where do you live? There are support groups for people (usually women, as 9 out of 10 people with Sjogren's are women) with both conditions. Connecting with people going through the same thing is not only a relief, but a wonderful resource.

Here is a state-by-state list of Sjogren's support groups. Hopefully your state is included! Many of these people also have RA.

And hopefully some of our readers with similar circumstances will also read this and join you! Also, check out our RA and Sjogren's pages here :

Will you let me know if you find a support group from that list? You may have to copy/paste the link instead of clicking on it.

Rheumatoid Arthritis