Heart Disease

Heart Disease Guide

Christine Jeffries

ask: Re: My EKG 12 - lead before a surgical procedure

I had an EKG that was read and stated: Ventricular reat 73 BPM, Atrial rate ! 46 BPM
Conclusion: Demand pacemaker; interpretation is based on intrinsic rhythm
Marked sinus Bradycardia with frequent premature ventricular complexes
Possible Left atrial enlargement
Abnormal EKG
My Surgeon set me up with an appointment to see a Cardiologist and cancelled my surgery.
the Cardiologist Nurse called me to state the Dr (Cardiologist)m felt no need to see me and told the surgeon to go forth with the surgery. i am concerned with the report.
Do you have any suggestions? I do appreciate your feedback.
Sincerely,

Patricia

Pat Elliott

Anon - Your question has been reviewed by a cardiologist and we received the following response:

"It sounds like there are abnormalities on the ecg but if her cardiology doctor said he is not concerned that is fine. It may not preclude surgery but she should review the findings with her doctor. "

Hope that helps! Pat

Pat Elliott

Hi Patricia - Thank you for your question and for sharing information about your situation. You are wise to ask for additional information for any health situation that is unclear, especially if you're scheduled for surgery.

We have asked one of our medical advisors to respond to your question. It may take a day or two, so please be patient, but be assured that we will get back to you.

Take care,
Pat

February is Heart Month. How's your heart? :