Herniated Disc

Herniated Disc Guide

Cary Cook BSN RN

ask: Safest form of cardio exercise with a herniated disc?

By Kellee

I have recently been diagnosed with a herniated disc in my lower back and I despirately need to do some exercise. Its been a long time since I have exercised...a few years actually. I'm a 43 year old woman who used to be a fit athlete but have turned into a ball of mush. Its time to do something and I don't want to wait until my back is better to start. I have heard a recumbent stationary bike is a good idea given my condition. Can you please confirm for me that this is correct. If it is not then could you recommend what cardio would be best for me right now? thanks

We are not able to tell you if your specific herniated disc is safe with any particular exercise, since we are not privy to your exact condition and medical files.

It is important to talk with your doctor, and better yet, meet with a physical therapist who can SHOW you the appropriate exercises for you! Not only do you want to do the appropriate exercises so you no longer "feel like mush", but there are specific back exercises that can help strengthen your back and relieve symptoms...aiding in healing.

If you are hesitant to do talk with a PT, you may choose an activity such as gentle stretching to help with your range of motion, but again: you need to get the "OK" from your doctor. Some experts have suggested using the shallow end of a pool to help with stretching.