ask: Severe cramps, nausea, fatigue, and dizziness during period. Will taking birth control help?

My period started yesterday (October 8th), and I woke up at two in the morning because cramping grew so severe. I was up until 3:30 crying and praying that Excedrin would kick in so that I could sleep (and the Excedrin took at least half an hour to start working). The bleeding wasn't too severe last night, but this morning it got much heavier (which is normal for me). All day today, I've been feeling dizzy and tired (most likely from the rough night of sleep, I think?), and the cramps come and go. I took a pain relief pill from Walgreens (two actually), and I've had a heating pad over my abdomen and lower back for two hours on and off.

It's not necessarily unusual for me to have bad cramping during periods (sometimes I honestly feel that I have to stay home from school because they distract me too much), but it's extremely unusual for me to feel nauseous during my period. Could the pain or the bleeding be what's making me feel nauseous? It's never been this serious before, especially with nausea AND dizziness; normally it just hurts. I told my doctor and she said birth control might help alleviate the pain.

My doctor is starting me on Mononessa tablets (birth control), which I will start taking tonight. Does it usually make nausea worse or better? And do you think it will help lessen the severity of my cramping? I've looked up information on it, but I'd like to hear someone's idea of what's even making me feel this bad in the first place. Why is my period so suddenly painful?

What you're suffering from is known as Dysmenorrhea. Oral birth control pills contain hormones that prevent ovulation and reduce the severity of menstrual cramps.

The nausea may have been caused by something else such as taking pain relievers on an empty stomach. If you normally do not experience this during your period, try not to associate them together.

Hope the pills help with your pain!

Best Wishes,

Rosa

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: