sex and your period

By October 5, 2009 - 12:43pm

is it still possible to get pregnant if you have had your period? (i was told sperm can live up to five days in the vagina), so if i had sex on the 5th of october and got my period on my schedualed date or a little later, can the sperm still get to the egg? can i still get pregnant?

ok, thank you for all of the support and advice :)

Marisa, if you are using condoms, you should be fine. And if not, unprotected sex at any time carries a risk of pregnancy but in your case, it's very unlikely.

im not at all hoping for it, it was something i had talked about with my boyfriend and my mother doesnt answer my questions pertaining the subject. and altho we do use condoms i was still on top of my head concerned about it.

Hi Marisa

Thanks for your question - it's a really good one!

I always say "never say never" in terms of pregnancy because we have all heard of miracle babies and pregnancies that happen when everyone said it was impossible.

A woman's cycle is, on average, 28 days. Day 1 is the first day of her period. If you have sex on day 26 or 27, it's extremely unlikely that you would be ovulating at that time, especially if you are regular. It seems that you are probably regular if you say that you got your period on your "scheduled date". You would have ovulated around day 14 (give or take a few days each way).

So if you have sex and your period comes a couple of days later, then it means the egg that was waiting for fertilization has been broken down and the lining of your womb is being eliminated. Now if you somehow ovulated a day later (which would be day 2 of your period) then it's possible but that scenario isn't likely to happen (but not entirely impossible, and the sperm would have to live many days in the vagina, despite menstrual blood being eliminated.) So while I never say never, for it to happen it would mean a regular monthly cycle would have to be turned on it's head in such a way that it's very unlikely. Women are unlikely to ovulate on day 1 or 2 of their period.

Are you hoping for pregnancy - or not?