Memory Loss

Memory Loss Guide

ask: Short-Term Memory Loss

By Island Girl

I've been experiencing short-term memory loss, why is that? It's become a running joke in my house that I'm going crazy, but now I'm concerned. Should I see my doctor for this?

Anonymous

Hi, I'm from Indonesia. I've been a job seeker for almost a year already and have this kinda problem. Guess I'm doomed to be forever alone and unemployed right?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Please don't give up! The world is slowly coming back from a Depression that has caused many to lose jobs and homes and all their savings. Do you have a job center near you? What are you qualified to do? Where are you talents? Even if you have to get a temporary job you don't like, employed people get new jobs faster than unemployed people. 

Hi, thanks for your quick response and encouragement, sure I'd need them. I think I'm pretty good at gathering infos and computer but barely got relevant professional exp but don't worry I can take care of myself. That encouragement is all I need for now. Thank you again and I wish you a successful life! :)

I'm glad you got back to us! 

You're right, experience is what everyone is looking for but how do we get that when nobody will give us a job? It's a vicious cycle. The one thing you could do is intern - you usually have to do this for free or get very little money but it's a great way to open the doors to you. Many interns end up getting hired when they interned. I also think it's possible to do this and also get unemployment money but every country is different. 

Please stay in touch with us - if you ever feel down again, we're here for you.

Anonymous

My husband is having alot of memory loss. He will drive to the garage and get petrol pay for it and walk home. We wouldnt be aware of this until the morning when he remembers, this has happened twice. He has put the kettle in the cereal cupboard and cant remember doing it. And when leaving the house he tends to return at least once because he has forgotten something. He has sarcoidosis could this be the reason or could there be something else going on?

Sarcoidosis generally affects the lungs and  this kind of memory loss is not a symptom. Filling the car and then forgetting it and walking home is pretty severe memory loss - he should be checked out for memory loss as soon as possible.

Anonymous

Hi, I'm 21 yrs old and studying Electronics Engineering. My problem is that I think I have a short term memory loss. I used to remember things quickly (6 5 years ago)even if it happened days, months or years ago but now I'm having a hard time recalling things that happened to me or to my surroundings even if that just happened an hours or days ago. Now, I'm having a hard time solving a problems because I normally forgot or don't remember what formula or method to use. Sometimes when I'm having a conversation with a friend or family I can't find words to say what I'd like to tell them and this things happening to me is bothering me so much. How can I get rid of this short term memory loss? I do understand that as we become older we experience this kind of things but I'm not that too old yet. I hope you can help me. Thanks.

There can be several reasons for short term memory loss (we'll forgo talking about aging since you are so young). 

But some other reasons include an accident or injury - you haven't mentioned this so I assume this hasn't happened.

Drugs and alcohol - you haven't mentioned this either but let us know if this is a factor and we'll assume it is not.

Stress - as a student, you may be under stress. Could this be the case with you?

Diet and nutrition - this can directly impact your short term memory - do you eat well and exercise?

Insomnia and depression - could these be a factor?

Medications - are you on any?

Illnesses - something like syphilis can impact the brain. It might be worth having a sexual health check up. 

Since you memory loss is quite noticeable, I think it's worth talking to a doctor about this.

Thanks for the reply Susan. I think my case goes with Stress, insomnia and lack of exercise. Thanks for explaining I'll consult a doctor soon.

Anonymous

I am a 26 year old male. In high school I suffered from nearly a dozen concussions, some very minor, some taking me almost 12 hours to regain memory and awareness of where I was. Ever since then - I have been notorious to repeating stories, sometimes in the same car ride that the driver told me the story earlier on. Though I graduated as an engineer, once knew over 250 digits of PI, and am able to learn things very quickly - some simple things are very difficult for me to remember. Recently I have started a consulting business where I meet anywhere between 3-10 clients a day and often 40-50 a week. Most clients I see more than once a week. Even though we see each other often - I have a very difficult time remember stories, what we discussed last meeting, when we have planned future meetings, I often have no clue what day it is, and without my calendar on my Iphone I would truly be completely clueless.

Clients often comment about my bad memory and we always joke it off - but it has been a growing concern of mine. I feel like I really have a difficult time processing new information and remembering it on the fly.

How Many Hours of Sleep a Day Do You Get on Average?: