Memory Loss

Memory Loss Guide

I've been experiencing short-term memory loss, why is that? It's become a running joke in my house that I'm going crazy, but now I'm concerned. Should I see my doctor for this?

Anonymous

Hi, I'm 21 yrs old and studying Electronics Engineering. My problem is that I think I have a short term memory loss. I used to remember things quickly (6 5 years ago)even if it happened days, months or years ago but now I'm having a hard time recalling things that happened to me or to my surroundings even if that just happened an hours or days ago. Now, I'm having a hard time solving a problems because I normally forgot or don't remember what formula or method to use. Sometimes when I'm having a conversation with a friend or family I can't find words to say what I'd like to tell them and this things happening to me is bothering me so much. How can I get rid of this short term memory loss? I do understand that as we become older we experience this kind of things but I'm not that too old yet. I hope you can help me. Thanks.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

There can be several reasons for short term memory loss (we'll forgo talking about aging since you are so young). 

But some other reasons include an accident or injury - you haven't mentioned this so I assume this hasn't happened.

Drugs and alcohol - you haven't mentioned this either but let us know if this is a factor and we'll assume it is not.

Stress - as a student, you may be under stress. Could this be the case with you?

Diet and nutrition - this can directly impact your short term memory - do you eat well and exercise?

Insomnia and depression - could these be a factor?

Medications - are you on any?

Illnesses - something like syphilis can impact the brain. It might be worth having a sexual health check up. 

Since you memory loss is quite noticeable, I think it's worth talking to a doctor about this.

Thanks for the reply Susan. I think my case goes with Stress, insomnia and lack of exercise. Thanks for explaining I'll consult a doctor soon.

Anonymous

I am a 26 year old male. In high school I suffered from nearly a dozen concussions, some very minor, some taking me almost 12 hours to regain memory and awareness of where I was. Ever since then - I have been notorious to repeating stories, sometimes in the same car ride that the driver told me the story earlier on. Though I graduated as an engineer, once knew over 250 digits of PI, and am able to learn things very quickly - some simple things are very difficult for me to remember. Recently I have started a consulting business where I meet anywhere between 3-10 clients a day and often 40-50 a week. Most clients I see more than once a week. Even though we see each other often - I have a very difficult time remember stories, what we discussed last meeting, when we have planned future meetings, I often have no clue what day it is, and without my calendar on my Iphone I would truly be completely clueless.

Clients often comment about my bad memory and we always joke it off - but it has been a growing concern of mine. I feel like I really have a difficult time processing new information and remembering it on the fly.

Thanks for your post.

If I were meeting with 40-50 clients a week, I'd have a really hard time remembering conversations and keeping everything in order because for anyone, this would be a huge challenge.

The more we use technology to map our lives, the less good we are with doing it alone - using our brains. It's the "use it or lose it" theory.

We should all be doing memory exercises - you can download them via a simple google search. You can also play card games that can help with that. Crosswords and puzzles also help.

However, as a sportsman during your school years, and having suffered numerous concussions, you may have some serious brain damage. I'm sure you have heard of the many footballers and boxers etc who have suffered brain damage from their careers but this is the same kind of damage seen in high school and college sports. I think it's really important for you to see a doctor about this and get early intervention if you have acquired damage from all those concussions. Anon, concussions are brain injuries in themselves. Please see a doctor and keep us updated.

Anonymous

Hi,
I am 26 years old and since before I can remember I have always had issues with memory loss. When I was younger it was just simple things like not remembering where I would put things or what I was going to ask someone. Now in my 20s it has become worse. Now I will walk into a room and forget why I was coming into the room in the first place. Because of this problem I will try to make notes to myself reminding me of things like what I need from the grocery store but it has gotten so bad that most of the time I will forget my list at home and won't have a clue as to what I came to the store for. I also took the memory loss test that you had on this site and I got the first two correct but after that it just went down hill. On the last one I actually on scored about 20% of them. Please help as I do not want to be in my 30s and not know who I am!

Sincerely
Forgetful in GA

You need to be evaluated by a doctor as it sounds like your memory loss is quite significant. You may have a condition that is causing this or you may have something wrong with your brain that is causing such memory loss but this needs to be evaluated by a health care professional.

~Susan

Anonymous

Hi I'm 27 and I do suffer from extreme anxiety disorder and the other day my spouse and I went grocery shopping and on the way out I had completely forgotten what we drove to get there or where it was parked. It was like I could not clear my head at all. I'm very scared a out it and don't know if I should be seen.

You do need to be seen for this kind of anxiety and memory loss - both could be connected or are individual issues but please make an appointment with your health care provider as soon as possible. Will you let us know an update?

~Susan

Anonymous

i am having the same problem, but i am only 13. i have adhd, so i think that might be causing it. is there any way to improve my memory at all?

How Many Hours of Sleep a Day Do You Get on Average?: