Should I shampoo my hair every day?

By HERWriter Blogger August 1, 2014 - 2:51pm

I shampoo my hair nearly every day because it looks greasy if I don't. I heard shampooing every day can strip your hair of natural oils though. Should I shampoo my hair every day? Or should I skip shampooing every few days?

HERWriter Blogger

Hi Susan,

Great info to know! The reason I wash my hair every day is because it looks really greasy and oily whenever I don't. I'll look for a shampoo that has no parabens or sulfates so I don't damage my hair too much. I started trying out a dry shampoo and that does a great job of making my hair look less greasy without washing all of my hair.

Thanks for the helpful advice! :)

Hi Erin

This is a great question, thank you! 

Washing hair every day is not recommended as it strips hair of it's natural oils. However, some women have very oily hair and do need to shampoo every day or their hair looks very oily/greasy and cannot be styled.  Just make sure you use a gentle shampoo that has no parabens or sulfates - two chemicals often found in shampoos that are unnecessary and not good for hair. 

For others, shampooing every two to three days is fine. I "wash" my hair with conditioner every day and shampoo every two to three days as my hair is very dry. 

For tips from other women about having great hair, click here: 

I hope this helps! 

Hair Products