Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: Should I still be on ht at the age of 71? I've tried to ease off but the hot flashes become almost unbarable. Need some input on what to do.

I had a complete hyst. at 38. It was a 41/2 hr. operation. I've been on ht ever since. I have tried to taper off but the hot flashes are so serve that it's embarressing to be out in public. The flashes sap me to the point my voice is so weak it's hard for people to hear me speak. All this is very flusterating. My head is wet,sweat running down my face and my body is wet from presperation. I can stay off the pill for 3 to 4 weeks but by then it's so bad that I can not copy with it anymore and I have to go back on the thearpy. How can I handle this?

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide

Anon - Have you discussed this with your doctor or had a health check-up lately? It would be good to see if there are any underlying health issues that are contributing to the severity of the hot flashes.

In terms of hormone replacement therapy, there are conflicting views on whether it should be continued by older women as they may face additional health risks beyond the increased risk of cancer and other risks associated with HRT. There are some studies suggesting that HRT can cause brain shrinkage and increase the risk for dementia in women over the age of 64. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/135508.php

Have you considered or tried alternatives? The following article provides a lot of information: http://www.empowher.com/menopause/content/menopause-alternative-treatments

Hope this information is helpful.
Pat

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :