Thyroid Conditions

ask: side effects of radioactive iodine

I have 3 nodules on my thyroid no cancer was found thank goodness but they want to do a round of radioactive iodine to kill the nodules. My question is will this also get rid of the nodules all together or will i still need surgery? I'm asking because i have that line that looks like an intertube across the middle of my neck and i can't stand it.

Thanks
Tina

Anonymous

I know someone who had radioactive iodine not too long ago. There is a great website with a lot of information. http://www.i131safety.com. Hope this helps. Good luck, L

Anonymous

Thank you for your question. The radioactive isotopes are used to destroy the nodules and therefore, in most cases you do not need surgery. In case you have concerns, you should talk to your treating physician as sometimes the size of the nodules will require surgery but if they are requesting the radioactive treatment, I would assume thats not the case. I hope this helps answer your question.

Good luck,

Missie