Spotting between periods while taking birth control pill and bleeding after sex.

By January 12, 2012 - 7:07pm

After my last period ended I started spotting (brown blood) for 2 1/2 weeks now. Also after sex I have been bleeding (red blood). What is wrong? How serious is this? I switched insurance companies and can't get in with new doctor for 4 weeks.

Hi jbthompson,

Welcome to EmpowHER.  Bleeding between periods or after having sex is not normal. You should really see a doctor and explain what is happening.

• Implantation Bleeding/Pregnancy
  • Miscarriage
  • Hormonal fluctuations
  • Starting, stopping, or missing oral contraceptives or estrogens
  • Low thyroid levels
  • Stress
  • IUDs occasionally cause slight spotting
  • Injury to the vagina from insertion of objects
  • Malignant cancers
  • Undiagnosed vaginal infections
  • Certain drugs, particularly anticoagulants Vaginal dryness
  • GYN procedures