By Anonymous April 4, 2013 - 12:05pm

Hi, I would like to know how low is my thyroid. My result came out as 9.5 and the normal level is 12. I am currently 30 weeks pregnant. And this is my first thyroid test. I had spotting since i was 16 weeks pregnant up to 21 weeks pregnant. Do you think that i have low thyroid since i am 16 weeks pregnant?

Pregnancy can affect the thyroid quite significantly. It often settles itself within  months post pregnancy but the side effects can be strong - hair loss, anxiety, weight loss or gain.

Since you don't know what your thyroid levels were like this beforehand, it's possible that your thyroid hasn't been functioning for some time - long before pregnancy. Or, as I said above, it has been triggered by pregnancy. It's impossible to say what is causing the spotting.

Ask your doctor about how to proceed for the next couple of months. What has she/he said about your numbers?

My result is 9.5 and she said normal level is 12

I explained above why your numbers may be off.

But you need to ask your doctor if this could affect your pregnancy and how. As I said, for some women, their thyroid goes back to normal after pregnancy (mine did) but you may have had low thyroid numbers beforehand, you won't know that until your pregnancy is over and goes back to normal within 6 months - if that happens then you'll know it was temporary and linked to pregnancy.But in the meantime, ask her if these numbers will cause any concern.

Thyroid Conditions