Is thyroid cancer related to celiac disease?

By Anonymous November 10, 2010 - 6:48am

I have diagnosed with two nodules on each side of my thyroid. Also hypothyroidism.
I am having a biopsy today and will probably have surgery to take out thyroid.
i had celiac disease for over 17 years before it was diagnosed eight years ago.

I am more worried now about my results from the biopsy of my lymph gland next to the thyroid. It has been disturbed from the biopsy and doesn't seem to want to go down.

What are thoughts on keeping the entire thyroid or having it removed if there is cancer? I have three nodules on one side and two small ones on right.
I just wish I could start getting some energy.

Anonymous (reply to glutenone)

I would recommend that you understand the difference between gluten free diets and TRUE gluten free diets. The following video link will help educate you on this.
In my experience, the gland does not typically have to be removed. Adherence to a strict diet along with addressing nutritional needs of the thyroid can help.
I wish you the best,
Dr. O

Anon, You might find this article linking celiac disease to thyroid cancer helpful.
All the best,
Dr. O

Dr. O - Thanks for the link leading to this valuable information:
There is a 2.5-fold increased risk of papillary cancer of thyroid for celiac patients. Source: J Clin Gastroenterol. 2010 Aug 6.

Hi Cindy - The following article on celiac disease and the associated cancer risks was written in 2007, but I think you will find it helpful. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/292137/celiac_disease_and_the_associated_cancer.html

I also wanted to make you aware of our Celiac Diet and Lifestyle Group, which you can find at http://www.empowher.com/groups/celiac-diet-and-lifestyle You will need to register on our site to join the group.

Please let us know what you learn from your biopsies and if we can assist you further. We hope for the best possible outcome.

Take care,

I hope it turns out that your thyroid is not cancerous - we'll be keeping our fingers crossed.

To answer your questions - yes, there does seem to be a strong correlation between celiac disease and autoimmune thyroid conditions. According to some studies, celiacs are more likely to face conditions like Hashimoto's disease, although I have not read anything on thyroid cancer being related to celiac disease. So you are correct in your thought that there may be a connection.

Have you told your thyroid specialist that you are also a celiac? This is something that they should know.

Have you adopted a strict diet for your celiac condition? If not, it's a good idea to, although I would assume they have all this information? Has no-one discussed the connection with you, Anon?

Thanks for responding back so quickly. I had five biopsies done today. Two on my lymph gland next to thyroid and three on my nodules. One of them is one inch. I won't get results for about a week. Yes, I have an excellent endrocronolgist and she is very knowledgable on Celiac disease. She actually diagnoses a lot of celiacs. I have been as of today diagnosed with Hashimotos Disease. I actually guessed that I was before I saw the Dr.
I started our Gluten Free Support Group here in Williamsburg, VA over 8 years ago and have been gluten free for eight years. Yes, all celiacs need to be 100% gluten free. Very important. I also have a very low Vit D level. I was taking 2000 but now she has me taking 4000.

I will have to learn more about Thyroid and Celiac disease connection. Thanks for your help.

Cindy Shiver
(Personal email address removed by EmpowHER Moderator.)

Thyroid Conditions