thyroid problem

By April 22, 2011 - 3:31pm

Hi there
I've been experiencing symptoms of a under active thyroid for about a year and 1/2
that i can recall, and cant get on medical; nor do i have insurance and am broke
so seeing a doctor i would only do if it were serious.
I've been losing a bunch of hair and sometimes it will fall out in little clumps. i've noticed that i am getting gray hair as will and i'm only 25 just turned and no one in my family has experienced gray hair that young. Do you think that i could go bald if i don't get this problem fixed?. please help me

If your are indeed hypothyroid it may not be as serious as a heart attack but if left untreated it can truly take more out of you then you ever imagined. Please look into the resources listed above, and get checked out. Make sure they test for your FREE T4 and FREE T3 along with the TSH that they will automatically test. You need to find out just what is going on. As someone who has finally tamed my hairloss (but still have to color my hair to cover up grey that started in my twenties) I know what your going through but you need to make getting better a priority. You'll be happy you did!

Hi purplesand86

Thanks for your post and welcome! I'm sorry you're dealing with this health issue and not having health insurance is a really stressful place to be in.

But there is help and plenty of hope. Contrary to popular opinion, there is free health care in America, especially for someone in you position.

For medication, many pharmacies offer free drugs through a program called The SCBN Prescription Advocacy (you may have seen Montel Williams as a spokesman for this) and you can check out all the medications they offer for free on their website: http://www.prescriptionassistance360.org/
You can take this information to your doctor.

In terms of being seen by a doctor, there are also many programs that can help. Any health center that is federally funded has to take in anyone for care. They cannot refuse you due to lack of money of health insurance.

You can find a very affordable health care center near you by clicking here: http://findahealthcenter.hrsa.gov/Search_HCC.aspx?byCounty=1

On the right hand side enter your state or county and you'll be shown the nearest facilities.

According to this website, you will receive:
•checkups when you're well
•treatment when you're sick
•complete care when you're pregnant
•immunizations and checkups for your children
•dental care and prescription drugs for your family
•mental health and substance abuse care if you need it

You will be charged what you can afford which is often as little as $30 for a visit. If you can put $10 away for three weeks, you can afford it! You may have to wait a while to see someone but that's the case in many countries that offer free services but the wait should not be too bad.

These two areas I've given information about should start the whole process. You really do need to see someone, or you may be dealing with all this awful symptoms for a very long time and they may progress. There is free help (or very low cost) out there, you just have to do a little research.

I hope this helps you and please know we're here for support anytime!

I hope to hear back from you!

Thyroid Conditions