Thyroid TSH level at 20 due to a virus attacking the thyroid, is a level that high risky? If so, in what way?

The doctor has put me on Levoxyl for a short period of time with a 50 percent change of not having to take the medication forever, is that okay?
Thank you.

Thank you for your question!

You level of 20 is quite high but not so high that it's considered very serious.

Taking this mediation for 6 months will allow you and your doctor enough time to see if it's working. Your thyroid might get back to normal and stay there or you may have to continue with drug therapy but you'll know more by the end of the year.

Additionally, I have submitted your question to an expert so please check back in the next few days for a reply!

I hope this helps and thanks for writing!

HERWriter Guide (reply to Susan Cody)

Hi again Anon

Thanks for your patience!

Our expert has responded with this answer:

"I agree with your doc. Going on levoxyl is reasonable and you might be able to get off of it in a few months
Its not risky, but you probably are feeling tired and lousy. If your neck is sore, you can take a full dose aspirin-1 per day"

I hope this helps, please let us know!

Thyroid Conditions