Thyroid Conditions

ask: TSH levels after thyroidectomy

I had a total thyroidectomy a little more than 1 year ago. For the past couple of weeks I have been feeling very tired and weak but I had blood checked 6 weeks ago and I have been on the same does of synthroid. Can the levels of TSH change even without a thyroid requiring change in medication dosage? Can it change within a few weeks prompting physical symptoms?

Diane Porter

Anon,

Clearly, there's something going on. For you to feel like this for two weeks, it's worth getting checked out. I have a few questions for you:

Why did you have a thyroidectomy?

Did you perhaps start a new prescription of your synthroid? Sometimes different batches have slightly differing levels of potency.

Has anything else new changed in the last couple of weeks? Another medicine, or your diet?

Have you been under extra stress in the last couple of weeks?

Please make a call to the doctor's office and ask the nurse her or his advice. They may want to see you for another blood test even though it's just been six weeks.