What age does menopause start?

At what age do women normally go through menopause? Does menopause have anything to do with family history? If my mother went through menopause at 55, will I go through it around the same time? 

Thanks for your question - it's a great one! 

It's important to note that menopause is a natural cycle for women and is not a disease or health condition. However, menopause causes great changes to women and is a significant milestone. 

There is a genetic component to menopause so yes, if your mom went through it at 55, then it could be likely that you will go through this at around that age too. In fact, ask her how menopause was for her, as you may have similar symptoms. 

The average age for menopause starting is about 52 but I know women who were done with menopause completely by 48 and my own family history sees late menopause - starting in the late 50s! So all women are different. 

Check out our Menopause section here for all the information you will need! 

Has this helped?

Menopause Guide