What approximate level of estrogen in a woman is needed to sustain the "protective benefits" from high blood pressure and heart/cardiovascular disease?

By Anonymous November 17, 2008 - 9:26am

I keep seeing article from the medical community about estrogen's protective effect and the threats that menopause has on heart disease and high blood pressure. What are the safe or "protective" estrogen levels needed? I know every woman is different, but even an average to guage?

I'm a 46 year old that was still on birth control pills until it caused me to have a 100% blockage blood clot in my arm up to my neck. So I've gotten off of them. I had my blood checked to see where I was in the menopausal stage. My FSH is 49.8, LH is 42.9, estradiol is <4, progesterone 6.8 and my total estrogen level is <10.8. My question is....what does all that mean? I was told there is evidence of menopause. MY MAIN QUESTION IS .....CAN I STILL GET PREGNANT????

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

You should have a follow up appointment with your physician, who ordered the blood tests. On the report, there should be the normal range posted for each lab value.

Hormone levels, particularly estrogen, fluctuate during perimenopause. Your physician can best interpret these lab findings.

During perimenopause, you continue to have periods, but they become irregular and some months you will ovulate and other months you will not.

I'm 55yo and over the past year I have gained 17+ pounds, no matter how much I exercise. Currently, I'm at 177, my height is 5'4". For a significant period of time I was walking between 3 and 5 miles a day, sometimes up to 7 miles. I don't eat sugars and I limit my carbs. I cut out beef and pork and only eat chicken and fish. As my weight goes up so does my B/P. A yr ago at 160lbs it was 119/72, just recently it was 138/86. I feel my inability to lose weight is due to the lack of hormones, but my doctor says hormones don't have anything to do with the inability to lose weight. Is that true? I'm just so discouraged. The last time I addressed concerns about my B/P with the doctor he said it wasn't high enough to prescribe any medication. I don't want to wait until I need medication. Same thing with my blood sugar while it's still within normal limits , it's at a 5.80 close to borderline. I really feel my weight , B/P and blood sugar are all related to my hormone levels. I'm sluggish, no libido, irritable, still having some night sweats and the weight gain. Am I wrong for asking for help from my doctor?

Thank you for your post. 

You are not wrong at all for asking for help from your doctor, I just think you don't have the right doctor to ask. 

Doctors who dismiss patients' reasonable ideas, concerns or requests aren't good doctors.  They have their own agenda and don't have much patience (excuse the pun). 

A good doctor for you could be an endocrinologist.  Ask your doctor for a referral. 

Please keep in contact with us. 

I am getting detailed hormone testing after years of suffering many symptoms. my first test showed me as having no estrogen. I will begin bio identical hormone therapy and I am so excited. I suggest you look into it and research if this would be a good option for you. Far less side effects compared to synthetic hormones.

I am 48 years old and my level of estrogen is 16. my doctor tells me that it is normal and there is nothing he can do for me. I dont believe this. what can i take? I have no sex drive...I am unhappy and moody and I feel angry all the time. help

Frustrated in Michigan

I was reading your comment about your lab values and if the doctor tells you that I would pick a new doctor if doctors are not listening to their patients then those doctors are not right for them the same thing happened to me and I'm in the medical profession so I chose a doctor that put me on bio-identical hormones and I feel fabulous. Melody R.N.

(reply to Anonymous)

Hi Frustrated in Michigan,

During Menopause, the normal estrogen range is 10-20. If you are currently going through Perimenopause or have already reached Menopause this could be why your doctor suggested it was "normal". However, if you're interested in Hormone Therapy then there is something he can do. Long term therapy is not recommended, but perhaps a low-dose, short period of estrogen therapy may help you feel more like yourself again.

I am attaching a link from Mayo Clinic so that you can best determine is hormone therapy is right for you, it includes the risks and benefits. If you think the benefits outweigh the risks, then you may want to bring it up to your doctor.

All the best,

Thank you for your quick response. I will be waiting for further detail. I have seen several doctors over the course of 2-3 months and I am not getting any answers. The reproductive endocrinologist referred me to a GI specialist, but I don't feel I will get any help there either. I'm so tired of feeling sick and tired. I am seriously considering a tubal reversal at this point in hopes of some relief. I don't feel that it's coincidence that I get surgery in September and immediately start feeling ill. There is NO DOUBT in my mind that it's related to the cauterization. I have to find another doctor to do a repeat hormone test because the one I went to is obviously brushing me off. SO frustrated!

I can imagine your frustrations. While I agree that it's very suspicious that your symptoms came immediately after your tubal ligation, it still be may a coincidence, meaning your issue is not from that surgery. I'm sure an process of elimination will tell but that's a long (and frustrating) road to take.

Your question has already be submitted. As I said, there is only so much a doctor can tell you who has never seen/treated you but we'll start from there and see where we go.

I hope to have something for you soon so hang in there,

Heart Disease

Heart Disease Guide