what can i do about my endometriosis

By February 27, 2012 - 1:45pm

in november of 2011 i had a total hysterectomy because i had endometriosis but my doctor told me that even though he did the hysterectomy i would still have the endometriosis because it turns out that it was not inside my uteris it was on the outside of it and on my abdomin wall he will not give me hormones for my menopause in hopes to cut my endometriosis by 5 to 15% in a year but i am still haveing pain so why did i have this surgery if it hasnt taken care of the problem is this a cureable disease or am i waisting my time and need to find a doctor that can atleast treat my pain and give me something for my hot flashes

Hi Dawn,
I'm so very sorry you are still in pain and on top of that dealing with menopause symptoms now. I've also suffered from endometriosis for many years and had a full hysterectomy because of it. Like you mine was ALL over the place and my last resort was a hysterectomy. There is no cure for endometriosis and even after a complete hysterectomy endo can come back, even my doctor told me there was no guarantee before my surgery. I am however on hormone replacement therapy to help with my menopause symptoms, couldn't function without them! I've had two medical experts tell me that the chances of HRT contributing to future growth of endo are slim but still a possibility. I had my hysterectomy over two years ago. A year after my surgery I started having the familiar endo symptoms that I was having before the surgery. Needless to say I had to have an exploratory surgery (robotic surgery) to see what was going on and most importantly to see if the endo was back. Turns out no endo instead it was scar tissue that was causing the issue.
I also questioned if having the hysterectomy in the first place was worth it. And for me it was... I was so miserable before and in pain 24/7 and at least now I can function and living a healthy productive life. My hormones still go out of wack every once in awhile but the good news is I don't have endo anymore.
If you can I'd recommend getting a second opinion to help treat your menopause symptoms. It's no fun dealing with hot flashes!!!
Here's a group I belong to http://www.empowher.com/groups/Endometriosis-sufferers.
Has other women who also suffer from endometriosis. Please join, they may have other information to add as well.
Hope this helps! Keep us posted on your progress.
Take care,

I was on birth control by another doctor when i seen this new doctor the birth control was not helping and my periods were really bad thats why the doctor suggested a hysterectomy but he also told me that it would take care of my pain and when i ask him if it is a cureable disease he just tells me that we will have to see in time but since my surgery i still have the same symptoms that i did have except i dont have to worry about a period now what should i do?

You may still have endometriosis around the area outside the uterus. Was it only inside the uterus or in any surrounding tissue?

it was not in my uteris it was on the outside of it but i didnt expect to have symptoms this soon after surgery i had surgery in august

Hi dawnsummers

Thank you for your ASK and welcome!

I'm sorry this happened to you - I wonder if your doctor did his research on your situation properly. It sounds like he didn't. Did he tell you before your hysterectomy that having your uterus removed would end your pain?

Besides surgery, the goals of other treatments are to:

• Control pain
  • Slow endometrial growth
  • Restore or preserve fertility

Treatment options depend on:

• Severity of symptoms
  • Size, number, and location of growths
  • Degree of scarring
  • Extent of the disease
  • Age and whether you want to have a baby

Treatment includes:

Pain Medication

Your doctor may recommend:

• Over-the-counter pain relievers to ease mild symptoms
  • Prescription pain relievers (often needed)
  • Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to reduce inflammation and help with cramping (best when taken on a regular basis)

Hormonal Therapy

Hormones are an option for women who are not trying to become pregnant. Birth control pills and other injectable drugs interfere with estrogen production. These medications may decrease pain and shrink the size and number of endometrial growths.

But endometrial growth tends to come back when the hormones are stopped. A common way to take birth control pills is continuously, so that you no longer menstruate.

Have you considered these other options?

Endometriosis Guide