What can I do for hormonal migraines?

By October 28, 2011 - 7:24am

I am in perimenopause and and bleed all the time. I spot more then heavy bleeding, but it will happen for a few days then stop and in a week or two start again. And right before and during I get severe headaches with nausea and vomitting. They wake me up in the wee hours of the morning and I have to sit up so do not get any sleep. This may continue for days. My GYN gave me progesstine (sp) for the bleeding but that cause really severe al day headaches. I have seen a neuologist and any meds he gives me causes headaches also. I tell him I believe it has to do with my hormones and he does not even consider that. I have started taking Butterbur daily to see if that will help but so far not. I had one month of no bleeding and no headaches that month. I know it has to do with my hormones being all over the place, but do not know what to do. Do you have any suggestions?

Hi Blue Ponygirl

Thanks for your question and welcome to EmpowHER!

I'm sorry you are dealing with migraines. I have dealt with them myself and know how debilitating they are (not to mention aura and nausea). I agree with you that reproductive hormone changes can absolutely cause migraines. I had terrible migraines in one of my pregnancies - so bad that I had to pull over if it started before I could get home.

I have to say I'm disappointed in your doctors' ignorance with regard to the connection between migraine and perimenopause. This is not unheard of. Ironically, the National Institute of Neurological Disorders has studied this topic!

For information on the above, please read this article and rest assured you are not alone: http://www.empowher.com/community/share/migraines-and-perimenopause

I'd also like you to read this article on the use of Amberen for menopausal migraines and let me know what you think: http://www.empowher.com/menopause/content/how-benefits-amberen-counter-one-symptom-menopause

Blue Ponygirl, don't give up hope, there's help out there and we are here to support you all the way! Please stay in touch with us!

Migraine Guide