What causes a missed period?

Last month I had my reqular period. It started on August 10th and lasted the same amount of time it usually does. Nothing abnormal about it what so ever. This month I have yet to get my period. I am not sure if it is pregnancy, but me and my fiance have unprotected sex alot. I have a pretty stress free life at the moment, so i have already ruled stress out as being the reason why. Ive had the munchies lately, it seems that i am always hungry. I've woken up with a sore throat the past 2-3 mornings, and this morning i coughed up blood when i was clearing my throat. Could this be pregnancy? And when should i take a home pregnancy test? I really dont know what to think at this point. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Anonymous

One of the main reasons for a lack of period is pregnancy so since your last one was on August 10th, you should go and test now, especially if you and your fiance are having a lot of unprotected sex.

A sore throat or coughing up blood is not an indicator of pregnancy although you may want to call your doctor about this.

I hope this helps - good luck to you!

I just took a pregnancy test, one of the $1.00 ones from dollar general, and it said negative. Does that mean I am not pregnant? I was told that I should wait atleast a week after my missed period before I take a home pregnancy test. Is this true? Would a blood test be more accurate? If so, how much do they cost, and where would I go to get one?

(reply to Anonymous)

A home pregnancy test should be accurate once you miss your expected period. A blood test may be more accurate, and you can get this at your doctor's office. Costs vary depending on the lab; you can call your doctor's office for this information.

You may choose to take another home pregnancy test in one week if your period still does not begin.