ask: What happens if you take 3 of your birth control pills at once?

I was wondering what happens if you forgot to take 2 of your birth control pills and you decide to take three of them in one dose without calling your doctor first? The birth control pill that I am currently taking is Yasmin.

Anonymous

Hi there. I forgot to take 2 of my active pills. I forgot the 7 and 8 pill. I remember on day 9 and just took day 8 and 9 at the same time. I had unprotected sex on day 8 and 9. I'm on jasmine and I've been on the pill for around 5 years. Can you please tell me whag to do? It is a public holiday and can't phone my doctor. Thanks

Anonymous

Hi there,
I am just wondering if you miss a pill or two and take three at once like another woman has stated, can your body overdose at all? I know they are only hormones but the thought popped into my head.
Thanks!

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

That is a very good question.

According to the medical literature, birth control pill overdose occurs when someone accidentally or intentionally takes more than the normal or recommended amount of this medication.

Symptoms include breast tenderness, discoloration of urine, drowsiness, excessive vaginal bleeding (2 - 7 days following the overdose), headache, emotional changes, nausea and vomiting, and a rash.

Do not take more than 2 pills in a day. Consult your gynecologist if you miss more than two consecutive doses.

Regards,

Anonymous

Hi there, I missed 2 pills a week and a half ago, when I realized I took those 2 plus that days pill (so 3 all at once, stupid I know). I am now 2 days late getting my period....could this be why? I took a pregnancy test on saturday and it was negative. Would it be too soon to pick up on pregnancy?

Thank you,

When you take an active, hormone containing pill, the synthetic hormones in the pill prevent ovulation and the onset of menstruation.

When you took three pills all at once a week and a half later, that "stronger" dose of hormones prevented the onset of your period.

I am assuming that you are now taking the inactive pills. Wait until you have finished the week of reminder pills and see if your period starts. If not, call your gynecologist and report what happened. Do this before taking a home pregnancy test and starting a new pack.

Regards,

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

please tell me why she should call GYN prior to doing a pregnancy test?

I saw that you are an RN, and my question is similar to the original that was asked.
So last week I started my new pack of birth control, Friday was the 3rd day and Saturday being the 4th on my new pack. I forgot to take my Friday/Saturday pills. So I took them Sunday morning when I remembered. I then took my Sunday pill at my regular time about 8 hours later. Later that night I noticed I'd been bleeding and it's been happening all day. Why is this? I assume I should still take my normal pills from here on out?

Oral contraceptives work by preventing ovulation. The daily dose of hormones keep levels constant. Once you stop taking the active pills, hormonal levels drop and withdrawal bleeding happens.

Missing two doses of active pills caused a drop significant enough to trigger bleeding. Continue taking the pills as directed.

Confirm my explanation with your gynecologist.

Regards,

How long could it take for the bleeding to stop?

I would think not more than seven days. If you bleed any longer than that, please contact your gynecologist.

Regards,

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: