ask: What happens if you take 3 of your birth control pills at once?

By KGregory46

I was wondering what happens if you forgot to take 2 of your birth control pills and you decide to take three of them in one dose without calling your doctor first? The birth control pill that I am currently taking is Yasmin.

Anonymous

Hi, I started my 11th month of birth control pills this Monday. I took the Monday and Tuesday pills, but forgot to take them Wednesday and Thursday. I realized it today and took one this afternoon and two in the evening, so all 3 pills in one day. I had unprotected intercourse Wednesday and Thursday. Should I have taken the 3 pills today, am I at risk of pregnancy?
Please advise.
Thank you!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Since you didn't make them up on time, keep taking your pills and use condoms for at least the the next 7 days. You may have a raised risk of pregnancy but it's a low risk - much lower than if you weren't on birth control at all. 

You can test for pregnancy in two weeks to ease your mind.

Anonymous

I just started taking a low dose birth control for the first time. I started the pill on the first day of my period and I have been bleeding ever since (about 18 days). I'm not bleeding heavily but it has not stopped. The pills are 0.15 mg Levonorgestrel. Is this normal? Do I discontinue the pill?

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Please contact your gynecologist to ask if this is a normal or not. Call today before you take another dose.

Regards,

Anonymous

I have been taking birth control for two months now and I forgot to take my pills of the week I was supposed to be in my period so I took 3 of them and had unprotected sex. I haven't started my period and I didn't know if taking 3 pills could cause that?

Are you on active pills only or do you have a week of placebo (sugar) pills? 

If you're on sugar pills, then you were protected.  I'm not sure why you would start your new pack. This may affect your cycle. 

Anonymous

Hi, i'll be finishing my birth control pack in the next 5 pills, and i have been taking them very poorly during the whole month. i just took three in a row, at once. should i take emergency contraception too? very worried. i know i've been stupid!

Thank you for your question. I hope that since you posted you have not taken an emergency contraceptive.

You are at risk for pregnancy if you have sexual intercourse during a period of seven days without an active hormone pill. This is often called the rule of seven.

Continue taking the remaining pills on schedule. If you are having trouble taking oral contraceptives on schedule, talk with your gynecologist about other options.

Regards,

Anonymous

I have been on the pill for many months now and have taken it every morning and never forgotten. The past week i have been totally stressed and somehow forgot to take the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday pill. On thursday i had unprotected sex three times and then remembered that i had not taken the pill! I am so worried! I am also getting some vaginal bleeding. I decided to just take the three pills i missed today and will take two tomorrow to catch up, how high is the chance of pregnancy? Im freaking out! Please help me!

Your bleeding is likely withdrawal bleeding from missing three pills. You should have thrown out your old pack and started a fresh one, per the instructions on your pill pack.  

We don't know how high your chance of pregnancy is, that depends on how your body reacted to missing the pills. 

Keep taking your pills now since you took all of your pills at once.  Start your next pack as usual and you can test for pregnancy in about two weeks. 

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: