What happens next? Scared and confused

By Anonymous December 6, 2012 - 6:12pm

I went to the doctor days ago and they said that i had an abnormal pap smear, my hpv cells were very high and i was positive for hpv, now they want to take a piece of me i believe she called it a biopsy to see if i have cancerous cells. I have too many questions but i cant seem to get it out to the doctor. how long will it take for this to go away? will this ever go away? will i ever be able to have sex with my boyfriend again while having this virus? does this mean i have cancer?

There are more than 40 HPV types. In 90% of cases, the body's immune system clears HPV naturally within two years. But, sometimes, HPV infections are not cleared and can cause genital warts and cervical cancer.

HPV is a sexually transmitted disease. Your boyfriend should be tested.

A biopsy of cervical tissue is done to diagnosis cervical cancer.

I suggest you make a list of all the questions you have and bring that list along with you at your next doctor's appointment.

Human papillomavirus (HPV)