Q: 

What is the life span of a person with Primary Progressive Aphasia

By July 19, 2010 - 11:34am

My mother was diagnosed with PPA about 4 years ago and now has much difficulty in speech. Also will sometimes retreve something else that she was asked to get and is incapeable to do almost everything, but remembers past and seems to understand what you are saying. Is it going to get worse to the point where she wont know us like Alzheimers and eventuly kill her. Thankyou Tim

Anonymous

Wow, I had NEVER heard of this diagnosis before I started looking up MY symptoms. Hmm....I'm 53 and female (from birth), what are the odds this is what I have? I'm scheduled to see a psychologist who tests people to discover what part of the brain is affected before I can see a neurologist. I thought I might have early onset Alzheimer disease. But my personal diagnosis matches with PPA. I can still understand people when they talk, but they can't always follow me. I have a lot of hesitation when I try to find the right words when talking. Common words such as chair, table, etc. Even writing this is a chore. Thank God for spellcheck! I cannot follow spoken directions as I forget almost immediately what was said. My spelling is getting poorer too -- and everyone used to count on me to be their dictionary. I used to be a language arts teacher -- and the difference from then to now is nearly white to a very dark shade of grey. I haven't been medically diagnosed yet, but my PCP is concerned and sending me to have some tests done before he sends me to a neurologist. This sound familiar to anyone else?

You are wise to get checked out early. There are some medications which may really help. When my mom was concerned enough to get tested, she went to neurologists at our local memory center. I wish you well in this journey to get answers.

Thank you! I just completed the neurological tests and the Psych seemed concerned about my test results. I have no idea why she seemed concerned. Was it because I did so well on the tests or is it because I did so poorly? i'll feel like an idiot if the tests come back and there is nothing to prove from them except that I am just a hypochondriac. I won't know the results for at least 2 more weeks.

Anonymous

My mother was diagnosed with PPA 3 years ago. She no longer drives and she has a very hard time trying to convey her thoughts. Naming objects is a daily struggle. She also is very compulsive when it comes to cleaning and eating. It's extremely hard to see this happen and it breaks mt heart. I was wondering if cannabis oil might help with being more "lucid" and improve her speech???
Lisa

Anonymous

My husband was diagnosed 11 years ago, when he was 53 years old. Doctors really do not know about the length of the disease. He really lost his speech very quickly, But 4 years ago the worse problems arraised: agressive behavior, with medication the problem passed. You have to be strong and stand this stage, it will pass. Since 2 years ago he has become totally incapable of doing anything by himself, as eating or drinking, also he started to use diapers. Now he is loosing totally his capability of walking. What I have been told is that once the patient is totally postrated you have one year. He still lives at home and recognizes me and understand some basic things, they understand more things that we imagine.
Hope this helps you, try to enjoy your love one the most that you can.
Good luck
Paula

Anonymous

My uncle was diagnosed with PPA a few years ago. He has lost his ability to speak. He is my favorite uncle; my mother's younger brother. He is 82 now and his condition makes me so sad.

Anonymous

A 53 year old male friend was just diagnosed with PPA in June and passes away barely 6 months later.
It was such a shock, especially reading everything I did about how people can live with this for many years.
How often are cases this severe?
Thanks

Anonymous

My father is 72 and has declined immensely in the last two years from PPA. For years the doctors thought he had Parkinsons disease and have been treating him for that. But we have come to find that he In fact has PPA. When he talks he whispers but he thinks he is speaking normally. The biggest problem is stability. He can barely walk and navigate. He falls multiple times a day. My mother who is 62 is still working full time and taking care of my father is also a full time job. I am the oldest of their children and i have two younger sisters. We no longer live at home and we all have families of our own. So we all take turns caring for him because he can no longer be left alone. It is true he acts like a child and it is so sad watching your father deteriorate right in front of your eyes. The reason I am writing this is if there are any programs we as a family could go to or look up on the Internet to help him with this horrible disease. It is new to us and we want to make the last years of his life the best we can. Thank you for reading and taking the time to answer me if anyone can. Thank you.

(reply to Anonymous)

My mum has just been diagnosed and I am so lost

Anonymous (reply to Justme44)

I am so sorry for your family. My mom was diagnosed about two years ago. Most helpful things I did were: go to dr spots with her to ask questions; read books and articles about PPA, dementia , and Alzheimer's. My mom's type has a 70% chance of being caused by Alz. I have to focus on the positives, use humor to get through the hard days, and choose to love this woman who is less and less my mom and more and more another person.

Tags:

Aphasia

Aphasia Guide