What is the risk or what should be the risk

By February 7, 2012 - 10:57am

Yesterday, during the evening I finally lost my virginity. It was with my boyfriend, whom I trust and loves me as well. We used the following and also did the following to make sure that intercourse was not only safe but also stress free.
- Condom with spermicide and extra lubricant. Was used correctly and did not break nor tear at all.
- VCF. A small strip that is inserted inside the woman and takes at the most 15 minutes to dissolve inside. It's another form of spermicide. It lasts for 1 hour. We had intercourse twice (he used a new condom the second time and was within the hour that the VCF was used.)

- Before intercourse, I asked him to gently pull out when he feels that he is getting close to climaxing and to simply finish outside of me both times. I explained that I wasn't ready/comfortable with him climaxing inside of me, plus it also gives us a chance to check if the condom is still on correctly/is intact.
Now I have a few questions:
1 - Are the above methods (along with maybe another form of birth control like the foam) enough or are decently effective in preventing unwanted pregnancy/stds?

2 - The reason why we are using the above methods is because he doesn't want me on some sort of hormonal pill since it does make it more difficult to get pregnant if used for a long period of time. We plan on having children in the future/once we are married. If the above methods are not effective enough, should I go ahead and go on the pill/shot as well?

3 - I have read about the Plan-B pill. If using the above method + the pill, does it make it even more effective or can it be do without? (I did read on here that it cause abnormal cycles and other side effects as well.)

Thank you!

Well, thank you very much for answering my questions! :) and I'll definitely keep on doing things the smart way! :D

Hi Supergirl101

Thanks for your questions!

1. The above methods are enough, you do not need anything else.

2. Being on the Pill will not effect fertility or pregnancy, even if you have been on it for years.As long as you use condoms and the other precautions you are taking (every time you have sex, you should be fine.

3. Plan B (or Emergency Contraception) is for actual emergencies. You did not have an emergency, you were very careful (and well done for being so smart, keep it up!). Taking EC when it's not an emergency can lead to an irregular cycle for the following month which can actually increase the risk of pregnancy so please do not take it unless you have had unprotected sex.

I hope this answers your questions and take care!