What Should I do?

By May 24, 2012 - 9:18am

Last year I went to my doctor for my annual pap smear. When it was finished my results show High-risk HPV and HSIL. I had the LEEP procedure. I have been dating someone new for the last couple of months. We are currently not sexually active because I feel the need to discuss my health issues and risks with him first. My question is how can I tell him from a medical perspective what his risks are? Im not sure of what they are even if we use protection.

Hi Karmen

Thanks for your post and your consideration for your partner's health. We wish everyone was like this!

You are correct - HPV is different for men and women. On EmpowHER, we focus on the risks to women.

The good news is that most men who have come in contact with HPV get diseases or cancer from it, although it's important to know that they also can and do. These diseases include cancers of the anus, penis, rectum, mouth, head, throat.

For his benefit, have him read for himself about HPV and men - http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-and-men.htm

Good luck to you both~

Human papillomavirus (HPV)