What treatment is there for spinal stenosis

By March 21, 2014 - 6:56am

I have suffered from back pain for years, spent years in physical therapy, take an exercise class twice a week for strengthening and balance and been to an orthopedic surgeon who hasn't been of any help except to write a prescription for epideral steroid injections. The shots help for two or three months, but don't completely solve the problem and then at the end of three months I have to go back for another injections. Because of the pain I'm unable to do the things I like. Does anyone know what my next step should be? I'm 77 years old.

I, too, have been diagnosed with spinal stenosis, ruptured discs, and osteoarthritis. And I've had several different kinds of spinal injections, including epideral injections, physical therapy, exercise, pain management, and consults with a neurosurgeon and an orthopedic surgeon, both who did not recommend surgery. I was so desperate for relief that I was willing to consider surgery even though that wasn't my preference. Nothing has helped, and I live with excruciating low back pain every day. I also have 6 autoimmune diseases. These are not complaints. They are statements of fact. I would love to find some answers, some help. I have wondered if somewhere like Cleveland Clinic with its unique approach to diagnosing and treating would be able to provide some helpful answers and solutions. Any thoughts?

HERWriter Guide (reply to annahurt52)

Hi annahurt

I'm sorry you are going through so much. Having one autoimmune condition often causes more autoimmune conditions so we understand this domino effect of autoimmune diseases in general. 

The Cleveland Clinic is one of the best in the world - contacting them is an excellent idea. Keep us posted!

Hi, Susan. Thank you for your response. When I referred to Cleveland Clinic, I was talking about the back issues (though I didn't make that clear). In my previous research and multiple conversations with Cleveland Clinic, they indicated that they did not treat or consult on autoimmune diseases. I was interested in their highly regarded Spinal Institute. If they now do both, that's even better. Do you know for certain about the treatment of autoimmune diseases?

HERWriter Guide (reply to annahurt52)

Hi again annahurt!

I'm surprised you were told this. The Cleveland Clinic has specialties in almost all aspects of heatth. 

There are specialists there for autoimmune conditions - in fact one specializes in "multi-system involvement in autoimmune disease." His name is Dr. Brian Mandell - you can find his information here:   http://my.clevelandclinic.org/staff_directory/staff_display.aspx?DoctorI...

Hi smooreva

Thanks for your post - I too have had the shots, the physical therapy and exercses and I still suffer great lower back pain. 

If all the therapies and shots are not working, the last resort is generally surgery - something most doctors and patients want to avoid but is sometimes necessary. 

Have you discussed this possibility with your doctors? 

Spinal Stenosis

Spinal Stenosis Guide