What's the best diet for an anxious person?

By June 14, 2010 - 12:09pm

I get cramps accompaniedby diarrhea and squeamishness or nausea I dunno waht to eat cuz it goes right through me.

I will look in to that thanks !

I think what Susan and Pat have told you is really valuable information. But I want to ask about your anxiety. Are you always anxious? Do you sometimes have panic attacks? Have you seen a therapist or a doctor about this?

If you have an anxiety disorder, it may be that the stress from the anxiety itself is causing your digestive problems. And by exploring and treating the anxiety disorder, you could also help alleviate the physical symptoms that you're having.

Can you tell us a little bit more about the anxiety? Do you know what causes it? How long has it been affecting you like this?

Roxana75 - Is it possible that your anxiety is due to the physical symptoms you experience from eating? Please take a look at our gastritis page as the cramps, nausea and diarrhea you're experiencing could be due to a digestive disorder. http://www.empowher.com/condition/gastritis/definition
Have you ever discussed your situation with a doctor?

Hi Roxana75

In general, the best diet for all of us (allergies and medical conditions aside) is keeping things as fresh, raw and colorful as possible; this means lots of fruits and veggies! Lean protein (and calcium) is good for your muscles, bones and teeth and plenty of fresh water. Keep red meat in moderation. Iron is important, as is Vitamin D and all our B vitamins as well as nutrients like zinc and potassium.

As you mentioned in your title, food can be linked with anxiety or depression.

However, you do not mention your diet to us.

Can you outline a typical day of eating for us? What kinds of foods do you eat and how much do you eat? Then we can help you further. Additionally, with diarrhea and nausea, you may be dealing with some kind of allergy or intolerance.

I hope to hear back from you soon!

A typial day is very slak for me. I get up at around 12 pm. I shower and go to the mall to get a Teopia drink and it is 1:00 pm I get home; to do stuff or draw and eat again but not lunch. I don't snack very much only when there's stuff to snack on like fruits or crackers. I eat dinner when I feel like so and sometimes I skip it. So that's basically my lifestyle right now.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Roxana75)

Hi Roxana75

Your lifestyle is very unhealthy right now and sounds a bit lonely and isolated.

Is there a way you can get yourself into some therapy? Do you know what's causing how you feel? Are you out of a job and needing some friend and family support that you are not getting?

Please get back to us!

It's really hard to explain; my eating habits reall suck!! :( ..seriously

eggs, salsa and veggies
shakes with plain Farquhar ice cream vanilla flav and fruits
brussel sprouts with rice, and meat loaf undrained fat
I put pizzasauce on top of meat loaf
Tim Horton's iced capps or iced coffee with either muffin or plain bagel with light cr cheese.

(reply to Roxana75)

I have been monitoring my eating/diarrhea troubles for sometime and notice that Iced Caps and Iced Coffee seem to be a trigger. You may want to see if that's what your problem is.
Some restaurant foods do it for me. I believe I have sulfa/sulphite allergies as well which cause the same reaction.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Roxana75)

Hi again

Well, it doesn't all suck - the veggies are good and salsa (if it's fresh) is good too!

However, the rest does leave a lot to be desired. If you know your diet sucks, then why don't you change it?

Eat 5-8 servings of fresh fruits and veggies every day and make sure your rice is brown. Add lean proteins and drain as much fat as you can.

Here is an article for you to read, with great healthy eating tips:
Visit our Healthy Eating section here, where you will find lots of information, tips, success stories and short videos : http://www.empowher.com/diet-nutrition/healthy-eating

As well as a healthy diet making you physically well, it can also help with your mental status.

Roxana, do you feel that you are dealing with some kind of anxiety or depressive disorder? Do you believe it's linked to your diet?

I have anxiety and symptomatic depression yes it might be it.

Anxiety Guide