Why am I experiencing hip pain?

In middle of the night I wake up with a dull ache in my hip. I try to move my hips and legs around to get rid of the pain (it feels like it is deep inside, not a muscle or bone), but moving it seems to irritate it a little more. Any idea what could it be?

Hi Kelly

There are many reasons for hip pain - you will not know the particular reason for you unless you see a health care professional. 

Some reasons include arthritis, work-related injuries, having a child on your hip almost constantly (happened to me!), a pinched nerve, a sports injury (poor body placement or bad foot work), using weights incorrectly or something internal like a tumor, trapped nerve or injury to the bone or surrounding tissue. 

How long has this been going on? Do you engage in work or recreational activities that could cause this? 

Some simple physical therapy or exercises can help but you will need to see a professional to determine your particular case before you can start. 

Has this helped?