Why am I tasting blood?

I continually have the taste of blood in my throat along with bad breath and the sensation of swelling up high in the back of my throat. This is usually accompanied by an ache in my throat and ear canal. I am scheduled for a Gastroscopy in 2 weeks. I have been on various PPI's for over a year because my dr believes this is due to gerd but my symptoms have gotten worse not better and I am not experiencing any reflux etc associated with gerd. I am a very healthy eater but as soon as I eat I get a horrible taste in my mouth that lasts hours usually followed by the taste of blood. I also take levothyroxin for hypothyroidism and have been wondering if the swelling I'm feeling is my thyroid. Thankyou for addressing my question.

The taste of blood in our mouth is usually that metallic/iron taste that's very unsavory. One cause could be a reaction to something you are consuming that could be toxic - even mercury poisoning. Make sure you are not exposed to these poisons. This taste is also connected to a surge of estrogen, as well as an infection in your body.

You may also have tonsil stones (or Tonsilloliths) that are rather foul-smelling and may give you that metallic taste in your mouth. Tonsil stones are little "pebble-like" clusters of calcium that has built up. Removal is pretty easy but they can be felt like a little swelling or lump in the throat.

You should also go to your dentist to see if he or she can determine is this problem is actually a dental issue.

Here's more on this topic: http://www.empowher.com/ears-nose-amp-throat/content/what-are-tonsilloliths-or-tonsil-stones?page=0,0

What are your medications? They could also be the culprit. Check everything you take and see if they can cause problems with taste or odor in the mouth.

Hopefully you will know more in a couple of weeks but in the meantime, I hope the above information is helpful. I hope you can update us!

Thyroid Conditions