Why do I get food-poisoning symptoms on the first day of my period?

I have noticed in the last 2 years that every time I have a period I get sick as a dog. I wake up with severe cramping, that proceeds to my bowels and colon emptying completley while I am sweating to death and once that is near its end I seem to begin throwing up. The entire scenario takes 2-4 hours and it only happens the first day of my period. I am 37 yrs old and have diabetes and all of the resulting complications but never really feel that sick until the first morning of my menstrual cycle.

Dear Anon

Thanks for your post and welcome!

These hours during the first day of your period sound absolutely awful. And since your sickness happens only during this time, the link between the two seems pretty clear.

Diarrhea and constipation are both pretty common during a woman's period. Vomiting can happen too, due to severe cramps and you seem to have a serious case of this.

I think it's a good idea to talk to your doctor and explain the kind of sickness you are going through in the first day of your period. There may be a course of vitamins and special diet you should look into for the week before your period starts.

Let me know what you think!