Why do I have ab cramping, irritability, and sore breasts right after ovulation.

By October 12, 2011 - 9:08am

I am TTC and this is my second month. The past two months right after the day I have ovulated (or believed) I have mild ad cramping similar to menstral cramps, sore breasts, and am irritable. My cycles are typically 30 days in length. My LMP is 9/24 and day believed to have ovulated is 10/9. I have used OPK's and tested positive 10/8 and 10/9. I "BD'd" 10/8-10/10. I am curious as last month I had these complaints up until my period started, and started spotting 5 days prior to my period, which I have not experienced before. This is not typical for me and am trying to figure out why I feel this way. I am hoping this isn't something that will impact my chances of conceiving, and will be contacting my OB if this continues.
Thank you for your time.

Hi gppacen

I wonder if you are having a physical/psychological reaction to trying to conceive.

You have been trying for two months and this has only happened in these two months. Since you are now aware of your cycle and your ovulation times, you are far more aware of how your body is working - much more than before. I think it's more than a coincidence that this has only happened in the two months that you are tracking your ovulation as carefully as you are. You'd be surprised how much of an impact your mind has on your body.

I'm not sure why you are spotting but if it's ending up as your period, it's not uncommon for this to happen.

I'm not saying this is all in your head (and you can't make up spotting!) but I do think there may be a psychological connection. However, a check up may be warranted if this happens again next month. Did you spot this month too?

Thank you for your comment Susan, it's what I needed! I agree that it is more than a coincidence - I am very focused on conceiving and do realize how the mind can affect the body. It is a very rational explanation and I will relax and seek attention if it continues. I have not spotted this month, yet, my period is not expected until 10/24, so I will see.
Thanks again!

HERWriter Guide (reply to gppacen)

Sounds good and if anything changes or you have anything else you'd like input on, we're here to help. Good luck with the baby-making!