Why does this hurt so bad?

By May 2, 2011 - 10:59am

Okay, this is going to be a strange question. This has only ever happened to me once before.

My husband and I were having sex last night, when I got a horrible sharp pain on my left side. He had my legs propped up on his shoulders. Everything was fine before that happened. It's now over 12 hours later and I still feel like someone put a hand full of razor blades up there and then stepped on me. We have sex all the time. I just can't understand what happened. I don't know if I should wait it out, or go to the ER or my doctor. What are the causes of pain like this?

Hi MrsCorino1990

Thanks for your question (we have received far stranger!) and welcome!

It sounds like the sexual position you were in either pulled or pinched nerves or strained that left side of your body. You may have hurt a ligament. It may take a few days to recover (have you tried to ice it?) . If you are still in pain after a couple of days, you should see a doctor in case something was torn. Hopefully the worst case scenario would be some physical therapy (explaining how it happened should be a giggle or two!) and best case is that it self-heals very soon.

In the meantime, don't use that position again until you heal and be careful even after that. If the pain gets any worse, don't wait a few days - put a call in straight away.

I hope it's nothing serious and please keep us posted as to the outcome.