ask: Why is my doesn't my period show any signs of stopping?

By gilm09

I'm 14 years old and I just had my menarche last year. I've always had 3-5 day periods once a month. But this month, I'm already on my 9th day and it doesn't show any sign of stopping. I hope it would stop now because I have a swimming competition tomorrow and my period is interfering with my swimming practices. I have a balanced diet, I sleep for at least 8 hours a day, and I'm not stressed out or anything. What could be the cause? Am I sick? Please help!

Anonymous

Hi gilm09,

Welcome to EmpowHER.  At your age, sometime is normal to have irregular periods. It can take a few years from the time a girl starts menstruating for her body to develop a regular cycle. You might skip a month, get two periods almost right after each other, have a really heavy period, or one so light you almost don't notice it. But, it's good to see your doctor and explain what has been happening to your periods.  

Daisy

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: