Eye Infections

Eye Infections Guide

ask: Why is my right eyelid swollen?

By AngelStyx

I woke up and my eyelid was swollen for some reason, just the right one and just the upper lid. The day before it felt a bit discomforting when I would touch it to wipe my eyes or when I closed it suddenly. Now it is swollen and prohibiting me from wearing my contacts. Recently, my roommate has brought her cat over to live with us, but I have never shown allergies to this cat before, or any cats. We have also recently moved and I have been around a lot of dust, to which I have a mild allergy. I also have a sore throat on the right side, but I'm not sure if the two are related at all.

You're welcome! Hope your eye is back to normal soon.

AngelStyx

Thanks a lot. I called a friend who told me to ice it for a bit and the swelling went down. I'm pretty sure it's an allergic reaction now.

AngelStyx,

A variety of mild to serious diseases, disorders and conditions can lead to eyelid swelling. Swelling can result from infections, inflammation, trauma and malignancy (cancer).

Depending on the cause, eyelid swelling can last for a short time and disappear quickly, such as when you have a mild allergic reaction to animal dander or dust. Eyelid swelling that develops over time and occurs along with additional symptoms may be a sign of a more serious condition, such as hyperthyroidism (Graves’ disease) or infection.

Because eyelid swelling and swelling in general may be a sign of a serious condition, you should talk with your medical professional about your symptoms. If you experience eyelid swelling accompanied by fever, vision problems (blurry vision), abnormal eye movements (or loss of movement), protrusion (bulging) of the eye, or signs of anaphylactic shock (swollen tongue and throat, hives and difficulty breathing), seek immediate medical care (call 911). In addition, if eyelid swelling is persistent or causes you concern, contact a medical professional.

http://www.bettermedicine.com/article/eyelid-swelling

Hope this helps,

Rosa