Hide This

FREEHER HealthToolkit

HER Health Toolkit

Sign up for EmpowHER updates and you'll receive our
FREE HER Health Toolkit

Food Allergies

Get Email Updates

Related Checklists

Food Allergies Guide

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.

ASK

Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!

A Shiitake Mushroom Rash

By Michele Blacksberg RN HERWriter
 
Rate This
A Shiitake Mushroom Rash 1 5 1
Food Allergies related image
Photo: Getty Images

Shiitake mushrooms are an Asian delicacy frequently added to stir-fries or used as a source of protein in vegetarian cooking. What may come as is surprise is that one can be “allergic” to undercooked shiitake mushrooms so it is suggested that people always cook them thoroughly before eating.

On February 18, 2011, the New York Times ran an article about a woman who developed a pretty severe red-lined rash all over her body. The rash was not particularly itchy nor was it painful. Her doctor was stumped so he called in other doctors to evaluate her. After examining the rash, one of the doctors paused for a moment then asked her if she had recently had shiitake mushrooms? Surprised, she said she had a few days before the outbreak as a sample sautéed in garlic and oil at a grocery store.

Apparently, the shiitake mushrooms were undercooked which left a starch-like substance in the mushrooms called lentinan that was not sufficiently broken down in the portion she ate. Heating lentinan prevents the body from having a toxic reaction to it when consumed. Unlike a true allergy, people who react to uncooked shiitake mushroom do not show a typical immune response in their blood levels nor do they develop classic symptoms of hives, itching and swelling. The response to shiitake mushrooms has been labeled as a toxic reaction rather than an actual allergy.

Interestingly, lentinan has been used as an anti-cancer agent. According to sloankettering.org, lentinan use has been studied extensively. The protein component of lentinan is called lentin, which has been found to have anti-fungal properties, reduce the growth of leukemia cells and suppress HIV viral enzyme activity. Lentinan has also been studied for use in prostate cancer suppression though the results did not show it alone could sufficiently prevent it. It is important to note that most clinical studies do not test patients using actual shiitake mushrooms but use extracts in powder form.

Shiitake mushroom do have natural health and nutritional benefits but they should never be eaten raw even if in the past one has not had any problems.

Add a Comment23 Comments

EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous

Thanks Michele - I'm a male 53 yrs in the UK - I ate some raw shiitake whilst making a mushroom omelette (Sunday) and began to react after 24 hours - rash on neck,face, hands - Wednesday went to GP (family physician) and given oral prednisone 28 tabs of 5mg - 30mg OD until all tabs used up - The rash is composed of raised red papules that are arranged in lines like scratch marks. I also had a reaction in my mouth - Dr said get to emergency room (a and e) if I was struggling with breathing . I'll probably avoid shiitake once this settles . I think this is pretty unusual in the UK so Dr couldn't be too sure - anyhow hope this doesn't last too long - Tim

August 14, 2014 - 2:48am
Michele Blacksberg RN HERWriter (reply to Anonymous)

Glad you received medical attention early.  Hopefully the short run of steroids will help. 

 

take care,

Michele

August 14, 2014 - 4:59am
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous

I'm an Australian who ate almost half a cup of raw shiitakes. I have come down with shiitake dermatitis and it is everywhere! Hair, neck, back, stomach, buttocks, groin area, legs, arms - no-where has been spared! Antihistamines simply do not work! One week later and it seems to be spreading rather than getting better! I am going to get some Calamine lotion after reading one readers post but doctors seem to have no idea how to treat this and there is little literature about it.

July 14, 2014 - 6:09pm
Michele Blacksberg RN HERWriter (reply to Anonymous)

I don't know how you can find someone who knows more.  It sounds like you might need a short run of oral steroids if it is getting worse. 

Is there an allergist you can make an appointment with? That would be the type of doctor experienced with these kind of reactions.

Hope it settles down soon.

Michele

July 14, 2014 - 7:32pm
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Michele Blacksberg RN)

Thank you both, I was told to take antihistamines by my doctor but will go back!! Thank you, again.

July 14, 2014 - 8:34pm
Leighandra Shenk (reply to Anonymous)

Sadly, you're probably just going to have to let it take its course. I suffered from this 2 years ago and I can remember how miserable I was like it was yesterday. Hot showers worked best for me. Good luck to ya!

July 14, 2014 - 6:34pm
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous (reply to Leighandra Shenk)

Thank you. It just seems crazy that there isn't something that can be done to counteract it :( I've heard of it lasting up to 8 weeks!! How long until it cleared for you?

July 14, 2014 - 6:42pm
Leighandra Shenk (reply to Anonymous)

It was about 14 days. . .I won't even eat shitake mushrooms cooked! Never again.

July 14, 2014 - 6:56pm
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous

had the same thing. hot baths and ''CALAMINE'' LOTION helps a bit with the itchy sensation. it has a cooling and calming affect. be well.

June 16, 2014 - 6:29pm
EmpowHER Guest
Anonymous

I ate two of the mushrooms whist preparing them for a soup. Two days later I came out in a violent rash on my chest, neck, arms and body. It looked pimply and raised and red at first but later stripy, whip like marks appeared all over my abdomen, back bottom and upper thighs.
Anti histamines had little effect. The A&E gave me steroid tablets which helped to bring it down a bit. i still have the rash on my body but luckily it has subsided on my neck and chest. My hands were bad too, still sore and red itchy blotches on them. Never eating them again, knowingly!!

May 6, 2014 - 10:18am
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy

We value and respect our HERWriters' experiences, but everyone is different. Many of our writers are speaking from personal experience, and what's worked for them may not work for you. Their articles are not a substitute for medical advice, although we hope you can gain knowledge from their insight.

Improved

1880 Health

Changed

775 Lives

Saved

644 Lives
5 lives impacted in the last 24 hrs Learn More

Take Our Featured Health Poll

Do you have a seafood or a shellfish allergy?:
View Results