For many, the topic of having sexual intercourse while a woman is menstruating is very taboo. Some men and women may cringe and scream ʺGross!ʺ while others may revel in the sexual experience.
First and foremost, it is safe to have sex while you have your period. The only risk you run into while having period sex is making a possible mini-mess. For some, your hormones may be raging during your cycle time and it won’t take much to turn you on. This could be an exciting time if you have never experienced period sex with your partner.
There are some perks to having sex while ʺaunty floʺ is visiting. According to Cosmopolitan and Ask Men magazines, the benefits of having sex while on your period include the following:
• More intense orgasms during period sex
• Lowers the risk of pregnancy, though it is still possible to become pregnant if you are not using birth control
• Lessens your period cramps
• Orgasms during sex may shorten your period
According to Dr. Dee Fenner, director of gynecology in the department of ob-gyn at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, "Although no studies have been done on this, it's likely that menstrual blood in the uterus is squeezed out during orgasm."
If your partner is the type who faints at the sight of blood, you may want to avoid sex while you have your period. However, if your partner is the adventurous type, here are some tips to keep love alive during this three to seven day period.
For mess-free sex, you can try the following:
• Menstrual cup
• Cervical cap
Tips for having sex while you have your period:
• Use a condom
• Stick with the man-on-top position for less mess
• If you are feeling very adventurous, try some other positions
• Have sex on the lightest days of your period
• Cover the surface you'll use with a dark towel
• Wet wipes, wet wipes, wet wipes
• Use your creativity and invent your own period sex games (The Shark or Jump the Shark Game)
• Take a shower together
• Try a new shower gel and lather up together
• Don’t forget to gently towel-dry your partner
• Celebrate with an after-sex drink (water, Gatorade, orange juice, etc.)