Vaginal yeast infections are often treated using antifungal medicines. But if you keep getting yeast infections, you may want to try a natural remedy.
Thrush is a very common yeast infection caused by a specific yeast known as Candida albicans.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, some fungal infections such as invasive Candida infections become resistant to the medications that were designed to cure them.
This means that every time you use an azole medication such as fluconazole to treat your thrush you may be building up resistance to the anti-thrush medicine.
If you have had recurrent thrush, the medicine will also only treat the infection and not the cause, so it will not prevent you from having future infections.
A great option is to turn to a yeast infection home treatment.
However, you should still visit your doctor for an examination and swab just in case your infection isn’t caused by candida.
Other infections can cause similar symptoms yet require different treatments, so you should always have a diagnosis before you use a natural remedy.
Common symptoms of thrush include vaginal discharge, itching and pain which may occur during sex or when urinating.
Reasons for susceptibility to thrush include:
- Use of antibiotics
- Use of high dose steroids
- Cancer and chemotherapy
- Excessive use of personal hygiene products on the vagina can also cause thrush to become overgrown. This is because the vagina contains mucus with friendly bacteria that kill off candida and if you wash away this protective mucus you are more likely to get a thrush infection.
- A weakened immune system: Normally candida is in the vagina and intestinal tract without harm but if it becomes overgrown and the immune system fails to keep it in check, infection can occur.
- Sex: Candida isn’t a sexually transmitted infection but sexual activity can sometimes provoke an infection. Minor damage to the vagina caused by friction may cause candida to thrive.
- Diet: Food and drink can affect the pH of the vagina. If there is not enough acid, candida is more likely to grow.