Q: 

Can a person recover from an anoxic brain injury

By March 30, 2010 - 9:48pm

My sister has a heart disorder called "Long QT Syndrome" which caused her to go into cardiac arrest that resulted in her having brain damage,.

Anonymous

My 62yo husband suffered sudden cardiac arrest at at home on 3/9/2018. I am trained in CPR and started compressions immediately. Called 911 and EMTs reached the house in 9minutes. His total lack of a heartbeat was 20minutes. He was shocked 3 times but had a flat EEG in ER. Nonetheless he was placed into therapeutic hypothermia, induced coma. After the therapy we were told he had severe encephalopathy due to anoxia. Not to expect him to improve and be in a vegetative state for the rest of his days.
He steadily improved and his EEGs went to mild encephalopathy after about 6 days. He woke up, recognized me and sons. At day 13 he had a heart cath with quad bypass surgery at day 15. He tolerated the procedure well, was discharged to a super rehab center and was discharged home after 33days total. He is weak, lost 38lbs has lost all memory of 6weeks-2months during this but is caring for himself, walking daily, doing picture puzzles and enjoying life. He has emotional swings but not major. His memory is completely back other than those 2 months, short term memory is excellent. He was cleared to drive by his cardiologist and neurologist. He’s back.
By and large God Blessed this man and there can be excellent outcomes from this tragedy.

I am so glad that everything worked out well for you. Your description of your husband’s event, sounds eerily like what I went through when I was 26 in 2009. Luckily my loved ones (my mum and fiancé) were first aid trained when I went into cardiac arrest at the kitchen table. I had a 20 minute down time and the results are that I suffer from short term memory problems which are immensely frustrating.
I was put into therapeutic hypothermia also and an induced coma. When I awoke, I remembered being at home and drinking coffee the I wasn’t sure. Interestingly, after going to sleep one night on the ward, I couldn’t be woken, which was frightening for my family. When I eventually woke up, my short term memory was gone. I didn’t even know the year. I did however recognise my fiancé. After two months in hospital and intensive rehabilitation, I returned home. I am able to drive and do mostly everything I once did before, except welding, thanks to the Pacemaker. Small price to pay, for being alive. I have two beautiful girls now that I am married. I married my fiancé three months after leaving hospital. The day of my wedding, was extremely tiring. I wouldn’t do that again! Probably should have postponed it. But my wife and I are in love now more than ever. She saved my life.

Thank you for sharing. Hoping for this same outcome.

Anonymous

April 6, 2018 changed my life completely. My mom woke up around 5:30am, went to the bathroom and completely passed out. She hit her head on the tub. She was out for about 15-20 minutes and she is in ICU on a vent with a severe brain injury, what the doctors call anoxic brain injury. We have been told by the ICU doctor that she will not recover and she would be on the vent for the rest of her life. We were also told we would get bored taking care of our loved one smh. About a day ago the neurologist informed us that she saw improvement in her brain activity from the second EEG that was taken. We pray daily over her and with her, speak life into her body, and talk to her as if she is awake because we strongly believe that she can hear us. We are firm believers in GOD that mom will make a full recovery and that she will be the miracle that everyone needs to see! This is a tough road but all we have right now is GOD and our faith. God is in full control of this situation and we know that he will wake her up soon and bring her out of this!

On 4/22/18 my change I received call from my sister screaming my mother went into cardiac arrest heart stop 10 minutes without oxygen to the my mother brain now in Medical ICUmy mami open eyes and close eyes my mani still not responding doctor said brain injury due lack of oxygen I just want my mami to respond when will my mami respond please so help me tell me something give me hope w

Amen!! We’re almost 3 weeks in from when my husbands went into SCA. His heart stopped 6 times and he suffered anoxic brain injury in his occiptal and temporal lobes. We see a little bit of progress every few days. He still has a long road to recovery. My faith in god has never been stronger.

On 21st Feb 2018 night, my wife suffered cardiac arrest and then lost is pulse. We hurriedly bought her to hospital but due to few minutes time gap, brain did not get oxygen. Doctors revived her pulse and breath but till now i.e. 14th April she do not response on calling. Her eyes opened up, eye ball and eye lid moves. Occasional movement of neck and forearm but no movement of legs. Doctors say will never be able to speak, eat or walk. She is off the ventilator but on one point oxigen and taking liquid food by tube.

I do not know what to do now. If any one can guide me where I should go and what to do. I have spent lot of money in hospitals, Presently, under nursing care at home.

y.p.batra
9818671266

Anonymous

My little brother suffers from seizures. He also suffers from drug abuse. On Wednesday, April 4 he was with some people and suffered a seizure. It is unclear what happened after that or how long he was without oxygen. It took medics 25 minutes to get a heartbeat back. It is now day 4 in the icu. On day two the hospital doctors wanted us to pull the oxygen and fluids or introduce morphine in order to stop his heart so they could harvest organs. We refused and since then he has been taken off the ventilator And Is breathing well on his own. The neurologist gives him a 0% chance of recovery, but with the fact of how long he was without oxygen being unknown, I don’t buy their prognosis...not this early! He is moving at times which they dismiss as natural reactions but there are times when we talk or touch him that his breathing and heart rate goes up. He lost pupil dilation as the swelling increased but we are past the threshold and waiting for improvement. Reading your stories gives me hope and please feel free to share any experiences or input with me!

I am going thru a similar situation With my son it’s the hardest thing iv ever been thru in my life I feel your pain u take day by day and dr r so cruel when it comes to brain injury because I truly don’t think they know about it so they just take the easy way out I don’t listen to nothing they have to say there here there breathing and alive the brain is very amazing thing my son is still not responsive But now does move his head looks around moves his legs on command sometimes and the dr we’ll say is it consistent But it’s more then what he did before one wonderful dr told me look back we’re i was at day one and look now time and the best medicine is love so take day by day it’s a long bumpie road keep your faith and never give up hope and trust in or lord

(reply to Anonymous)

on the evening of 2/21/18 my brother overdosed. He was discovered the next morning unconscious. The doctors said he had an anoxic brain injury and multi-organ failure. He also developed pneumonia. His kidneys, lungs, liver and brain were failing. They also said his right sight would be paralyzed. He was on life support, 3 medical teams suggested we remove life support. We saw signs, as you did, reactions to music, names, eyebrows moving, etc. The doctors insisted these movements were not purposeful and he would not recover. They said, he would never be the same and he would live in a facility on a ventilator, feeding tube and recv kidney dialysis for most if not all of his life. He has recovered. He is now in a brain injury facility. he is not on a feeding tube, he is not on a ventilator, he is not receiving dialysis. He is breathing, eating and talking on his own. Oh and his right side is not paralyzed. They now expect him to come home May 1st! Please have faith, God is amazing! Thank God we refused to listen to the doctors. They admit, they do not have the data and I think that's because they encourage too many families to remove life support.

Anoxic Brain Injury