“Sexting,” the exchanging of sexual pictures via cell phone, is forcing a new look at child pornography laws. But what about sexting between adults?
Is sexting an appropriate behavior for adults? Can this be another way of sexual pleasure that adults can benefit from? Will your significant other respect you more or less after sexting?
Personally, I believe that if you want to have a serious relationship with someone, it is best to hold the sexting, since most guys will not respect you after receiving dirty pictures or texts. They will assume that you only want sex or that you are a booty call. If that is what you want, then sext at your own risk.
However, if you are already in a serious relationship with someone, sexting might actually improve your relationship (sexually or otherwise), that is, if your significant other is willing to try new types of sexual pleasure. If he or she is adventurous, then go for it! This could bring excitement into the relationship and get both partners excited to see each other after a long day at work.
Of course, people who indulge in sexting need to be very cautious. You need to be able to trust the person you are sexting with, since those pictures or texts could make it to the Internet or could be viewed or sent by/to other people. If you are sending dirty pictures, I would avoid taking pictures of your face or anything that could identify you in case the worst-case scenario happens.
Tips for Sexting:
1) Decide if sexting is worth it: think of the consequences
2) Decide what type of relationship you want/have with the other person
3) Ask yourself if the other person is trustworthy
4) Decide if you want to send dirty pictures, texts or both
5) If unsure of what to text, look at a few trashy romance novels
6) Start out only with a suggestion and allow the other person to continue
7) Prepare yourself for the worst-case scenario (the recipient shares the photos with others)
Link to CBS story: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/01/15/national/main4723161.shtml