I had my lap band surgery July 24, and I'm happy to report the surgery went extremely well. I ended up not needing an endoscopy after all since it had been a year and half when I had my first lap band removed.
Although it's the same doctor who put my first lap band in, I'm amazed at how much better this surgery went vs. my first band. I credit this to being in much better shape physically and that I followed the doctor’s instructions to the letter this time. In addition I’m pleased that Dr. Ortiz’s staff has gotten even better in every thing they do over when I had it done the first time 4 years ago.
Here is a quick recap and time line of my second lap band experience:
- Started reduced pre-operative daily diet of 2 protein diet shakes, 1 Lean Cuisine meal plus fruits and vegetables, about 600 calories a day;
- Continued walking 45 minutes 5 days a week;
- Stopped drinking alcohol;
- Lost roughly 8 pounds over this week.
July 24th -Surgery Day
- Arrived at the Obesity Control Clinic (Dr. Ortiz’s clinic) at 9:15 a.m met with the Nutrition (a doctor) who ran through all of the facets of the 21 post operative liquid diet, got weighted and measured, discussed weight loss expectations, and all facets of the how to eat with the band after the 21 day liquid diet;
- Met with their Cardiologist; answered health questionnaire, got an EKG;
- Met with the Post Operative doctor to go over more details of care after the surgery;
- Got prepped for surgery;
- Rolled me into surgery around 11:30 a.m., and was done around noon;
- Woke up in recovery an hour later, feeling pretty good and was moved to a private room where I was given some pain medicine and anti-nausea medicine in my IV;
- Around 9 p.m. that evening they removed my IV;
- Spent that evening in the clinic.
July 25th Friday
- Checked out of the clinic by 8 a.m. -- went back to our Hotel room;
- Had some clear chicken broth (Hotel Lucerna has the best);
- Felt so good we booked an earlier flight back to Phoenix to leave at 2:10pm from San Diego Airport (1 day earlier than planned);
- Took shuttle bus at 11:30 a.m. back to San Diego airport.