Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

About Periods that no doctor has helped yet

By Anonymous April 11, 2011 - 8:15am
Rate This

i got a question for you... its kinda personal but i need someone to talk to .. it may be sickening and i appoligize now but i need your help. When i was younger i had really abnormal periods.. to the point i could fill up a gallon in 5 min it was a heavy period and at times it was clots.. I never got the help i needed when i was in school... once i got out of school i quit having periods at all. for about 8 months then it came back for about 3 months straight (a normal period) but then one summer i hurt so bad and i thought i was having a miscarriage i passed a clot the size of my head and i freaked ... i went to the hospital bc of the pain and worrying i had a miscarriage but when i got there they said i didnt have a miscarriage .. and i was just having an abnormal period.. but thats what every doctor tells me.. i have went to so many doctors and finally i found out i had to have a leap procedure done.. but never heard no more on it (that clinic closed down). so i went back to another doctor and i told him how i was getting car sick alot and weak and not having periods and he was the first doctor that named it.. he said i have polysistic ovarian syndrom... well i take metformin now and i am having regular periods now but im having them regular but for a full month and one week.. im worried like crazy.. and no doctor seems to take it to the next level.. all i want is to know if i can get pregnant? and doctors tell me they dont see why not but no one goes to do testing.. i've been with my husband now for 8 years and we have been trying to conceive a baby and nothing has happened. 30 years old is right around the corner and I want to get pregnant before i get to old. ya know... it kills me to think that i may never get pregnant... So i wanted to see if you have any ideals? please anything that could help, i would appreciate it..i was told that maybe if i can get a doctor to do a dnc to clean me out or even to freeze my cervix that i would prob get pregnant right after.. thats what a friends sister did .. she could get pregnant she tried for 10 years .. she got her cervix froze and within a month later she was pregnant. can you please help me.. and also can you tell me the best place to go.. i quit my job to be a stay at home mom to my stepson and i now have no insure .. i plan on getting back out there to find another job soon with insurence but in the meantime do you know who can help me that wont turn me down bc of insurance also the area im in is Joplin Missouri so any place around that would help thank you so much. ive been batteling this since i was 16 .. im now 26 .. something has got to give to some answers please help thank you.

Add a Comment1 Comments

HERWriter Guide

Hi Anon

Thanks for your post and welcome!

Firstly, you are only 26, you have plenty of time to have a baby, so don't worry about that part.

Also, when you say you passed a gallon of blood in 5 minutes, I assume you are saying that that's how it felt, rather than what actually happened. Our entire body consists of one gallon so you would have bled to death immediately had that actually happened. Also, to pass a clot the size of your head would mean a hospitalization and/or immediate testing. I understand that it may have felt that way but do you really mean that these things literally happened?

If you had a Leep procedure done, it means that you have had abnormal paps and may have HPV - this is a sexually transmitted disease that can cause genital warts and abnormal cells in the uterus that may lead to cervical cancer. The Leep is done to analyze your cervical tissue to check whether the abnormalities are cancerous or not. Was this not explained to you before you had the procedure done? Do you know if you have HPV?

Many women with PCOS have difficulty getting pregnant so I'm not sure why doctors would tell you that you should have no difficulties at all. It seems like you're getting a combination of mixed messages and lack of information all round.

Regarding your friends sister - again this information is confusing. Cervical freezing is done to treat cervical disease, again, for something like HPV. This is not a method to treat infertility.

If all your irregular bleeding has now stopped, then it's probably time to see a fertility expert about why you are not getting pregnant. You can ask your doctor for a referral. And ask for a breakdown and explanation of your medical records regarding your PCOS (and treatments) as well as to whether you have HPV or not. It seems like no-one is really sitting down with you to discuss exactly what's going on. And be careful when being told what worked for other women as they may not be sharing all the information about their health and leaving you more confused than ever.

I think it's time you called your doctor and asked for a meeting regarding your situation. A nurse can also sit down with you and explain your entire health situation to you. Then talk about a referral for a fertility expert (and your husband's fertility will need to be checked too).

I hope this helps and please stay in touch with us-Best,

April 11, 2011 - 11:51am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.

Infertility / Fertility

Get Email Updates

Infertility / Fertility Guide

HERWriter Guide

Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!