About thrush

By May 14, 2010 - 11:21am

I have recently been diagnosed with having thrush and a water infection.

Im in my late 20s and althougjh i have had cystitus quite a few times before, i have never had thrush.

But i have been extremely stressed over the last few weeks, it was very high over the weekend. I also went away away then - and wore leggins as i was away as they were lighter to carry.

I have a boyfriend, but we are not sleeping together, although there is alot of messing around involved- touching, giving blow jobs to each other,etc.

Im due to go away with him next weekend - i just wanted to know what is it ok to do/not to do? As i dont want to pass anything to him - we are not having penetrative sex, but do 'mess around'.

I have taken a pessary a few days ago, are using cannestan cream and on trimethorprim - just 6 tablets to deal with the water infection.

Could you tell me how long on average does it take to feel 'better', and if i feek ok (less sore - im abit sore right now) - would it be ok to ressume our 'messing around' next weekend - 22 may?

Also, i guess im overeacting as i have no idea! im very busy this month with work, etc. Can i gp swimming whilst i have this condition?

Hi tia!

Thanks for your questions - you have raised some good points!

Thrush in the genital area (aka: a yeast infection) is very common. I'm not sure why it is not clearing up for you quickly. Normally a single oral pill or a one or three day cream application should have it cleared up quite quickly. Hopefully this will be the case with you in the next couple of days.

As far as sexual activity goes, yeast infections can be contageous so a condom is a good idea if you do have penetrative sex. Oral sex with a yeast infection is not hygenic nor, I assume, would be pleasurable for the giver so I'd put that on hold until it clears up. You could also infect his mouth, causing thrush for him.

With regard to swimming, I would not swim with an active yeast infection as I don't view it as doing others around me any favors and is not very thoughful. Also, swimming conditions (moisture and humidity) can cause these infections, or exacerbate infections already in place so I'd skip that too.

However, this infection should be easily cleared by next weekend so I think you should be able to have a great holiday without any worries. Will you let us know if you don't see great improvement in the next couple of days?

Since this is your first infection, I think reading our yeast infection page here is a good idea: http://www.empowher.com/condition/yeast-infection

Let me know what you think! Does this info help you?

Thrush Guide