Allergies or Cold?

By HERWriter Blogger December 5, 2014 - 2:14pm

I've been experiencing a lot of symptoms that are like an allergy attack, such as sneezing and itchy ears. Then, the itchiness went away and I had terrible post-nasal drip and a cough. What is the difference between allergies and a cold? How will I know which one I have?

HERWriter Blogger

Thank you Susan! I'll try cold meds and if it lasts any longer, I'll see a doctor. Very helpful!

Hi Amy

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between the two! 

Since it's not allergy season, it's more likely to be a cold that you have but allergens can affect us at any time of the year, especially in warmer, southern states. 

So where you live may be a clue. 

Have you had exposure to allergens like animals or certain outdoor places like the woods or flowers? If so, it may be allergies. You also mention itching, which is not commonly seen in cold but is very indicative of allergies. 

Post nasal drip can be seen ion both cases (as can sneezing) but your cough is not an indicator of allergies, but is when you have a cold. 

Also, how long has this been going on? Allergies can last for weeks or even months, while symptoms of a cold last between 1-3 weeks. 

So considering the time of year, and that your symptoms are changing, as well as coughing, I'd say you have a cold. 

If you don't feel better within 3 weeks of the start of symptoms, see your doctor to see if allergies are the cause.

I hope this helps! 

Allergies Guide