Are itchy vaginas normal

I am 14 and on and of for almost a year now I've had really weird stuff going on with my vagina. I think it started when I was mastrubating and I remember getting an itch so I scratched it but the itch just got worse and worse until it burned. Then when I went for a wee and it stung like mad. Then for the next few days I tried not to touch it but I still kept getting bad itches at really random times and i tried not to itch it this happened until it stopped hurting when I went to the toilet. This kept happening frequently for a few weeks. I also ended up having a cut (that felt like a paper cut) on the bit of skin between my anus and vagina and every time I get an itch and this all happens it seems to reappear in the same spot (i have it today). After a few months of this happening I decided to have a look and I had big red patches and spots with dry skin covering and surrounding my vagina ( also I have cuts all over the vaginal lips and above my clit and now I think they made scars as all different bits of skin fold over each other now and it just all looks weird) I looked up the syptoms I though I had something called jock itch. I told a few friends but as to scared to talk to my mum. After a week or two it went away but I still seem to get really bad itches.

Also I don't know whether this has anything to do with it but it really smelt the other day. HELP!!!!i, really scared that there is something wrong?!?!?

Thanks for reaching out to EmpowHER - I know this is a painful condition and a bit embarrassing to talk to people about.

Itching the way you do is not normal.

Firstly, this is not likely a serious condition but what you may have is a skin condition (the genitals are also skin) called Contact Dermatitis. Contact dermatitis is inflammation of the outer layers of the skin caused by contact with a particular substance. It usually presents as a rash that is typically confined to the specific area of the body where the contact occurred.

The symptoms of contact dermatitis may vary from person to person. Scratching and rubbing can cause or worsen some symptoms. The rash is usually confined to the area where the contact with the substance occurred, but occasionally may spread. If contact with the substance occurred all over the body, such as with a body lotion, the rash may be large.

Symptoms include:

Crusting, oozing, and scaling
Temporary thickening of the skin

Your doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history, and perform a physical exam. You may be referred to a doctor who specializes in skin disorders (dermatologist) or allergies (allergist).

Anon, you may be allergic to the kind of clothes detergent used in the house or by wearing non-cotton underwear or even the shower gel you use. Fabric conditioner and sheets can also cause this. Pads and tampons can cause this too - there are all natural ones for sale online and in health stores. If you stop the use of all this, you may find this clears up.

You may have a different kind of allergy or skin condition that I haven't described. I do urge you to see a doctor if you stop use of all colored/scented detergents and soaps and it still continues.

All this scratching can lead to more scars and perhaps a deeper infection. It may not take much to clear this up at all.

Here is a video that will help: http://www.empowher.com/contact-dermatitis/content/contact-irritant-dermatitis-what-it-and-what-causes-it-dr-kellogg-spadt-video

I hope this helps you!

Contact Dermatitis

Contact Dermatitis Guide