Are you pregnant? Or a new mom? What are you naming the baby?

By December 31, 2008 - 9:11am

Every year, the list of most popular baby names for that year is released. It's fun and interesting to see how trends change. When I was growing up, we had a ton of Debbies, Lindas, Marys and Elizabeths; the boys were often John, William, Matthew or Joseph. Now there are Kaylas and Jaydens and everything in between (although Elizabeth and Matthew are still holding strong!).

Here are the most popular names for 2008, according to the Social Security filings:

Most Popular Baby Girl Names for 2008:

1. Emily
2. Madison
3. Hannah
4. Emma
5. Alexis
6. Ashley
7. Abigail
8. Sarah
9. Samantha
10. Olivia
11. Elizabeth
12. Alyssa
13. Lauren
14. Isabella
15. Grace
16. Jessica
17. Brianna
18. Taylor
19. Kayla
20. Anna

And here's the most popular boy names for 2008:

1. Jacob
2. Michael
3. Ethan
4. Joshua
5. Daniel
6. Christopher
7. Anthony
8. William
9. Andrew
10. Matthew
11. Alexander
12. David
13. Joseph
14. Noah
15. James
16. Ryan
17. Logan
18. Jayden
19. John
20. Nicholas

How about you? Did you have a baby recently, or are you due in 2009? What did you or will you name your baby? And why did you choose the name -- for family, heritage or Biblical reasons, or just because you love the way it sounds?

When I had my first child in 2004, we used to joke that we'd name him Cayden Jayden Aiden Brayden! Those 'en' at-the-end names were very popular, and if you yell "Madison!" in a playground, you'd have at least three or four little girls run up to you!

None of my children's names are in the top 20 (or even the top 100 and my girls names are not in the top 1000) but we chose their first names because we loved them - there was no nostalgia or family/friend connection. I also named them interesting names that are not common, but not terribly unusual either. And it was important to visualize them living with these names as an adult. They have to live with their names, after all!

Their middle names are all family names that we like, as well as after family members we like.

And really, no offense to the parents out there who want their kid with a family name to sound unique by calling the daughter Gennyfyr or the son Mykel, but it's not going to do him or her any favors in life!

By the way, as popular names go, I love the name Emma!