Birth control and Wisdom Teeth extraction

Ok I need serious help! I can't find answers anywhere and I would think this was a common question.
Ok so I am getting my wisdom teeth removed next friday (exactly one week from today). I am on birth control. I read that women on birth control have a very high risk of getting Dry Socket, which is an extremely painful inflammation.

I am on my sugar pills now, and just got my period today (friday). it says if i take birth control it heightens my risk. Can I just start my birth control a week late? so can i start it sunday after i get my teeth removed?

i know it says to have them removed the 22nd day of my cycle but i cannot get them removed next month (since i got my period today, and a new cycle started already) because i leave for school.

How long after my teeth extraction can i take my birth control. I usually start on sunday. and will i be safe to start a new pack a week late?

Thank you for your question! 

You are right - there is about a 30% increased risk of dry sockets for women who are on birth control. Good for you for doing your homework! 

To lessen your risk, you are right to delay your birth control - delay it by a week but remember that you must use condoms if you have sex during this time off and also use them as a back up for the first week of being back on your birth control as an extra precaution. The fact that you currently on sugar pills is actually good - plenty of time to get the extra estrogen out of your system. 

Good luck with your surgery, I had this done a few years back - it's not easy but you'll be just fine! 

Dental & Oral Health

Dental & Oral Health Guide