bleeding after sex

By April 5, 2012 - 9:50am

Hi, I'm not on any form of birth control. I actually stop taking birth control pills close to a year ago. At first my period was short about 4-5 days then it went onto 7days. Now I have it for 2weeks. I did go to the doctors, they did say I may have polycystic ovary syndrome, but not sure yet because they might just fell off themselves. I just had my period for a week, 7 days, it seemed to stop for about 2days, so I decided to have sex. There was some blood but not a lot, after having sex a second time there was none. 2days later my period returned. Does me possibly having polycycstic ovaries have anything to do with this? or is there something else I should be concerned about?

Hi Raquel

Thanks for your post. Since this seems to be going on a while, it doesn't appear that having sex is causing the bleeding.

Symptoms of PCOS include:

• Irregular menstrual periods or no menstrual period ( amenorrhea )
  • Infertility
  • Hair growth on face and body
  • Weight gain
  • Obesity
  • Acne
  • Dark patches of skin on neck, groin, and arm pit

Rarely, symptoms include:

• Deep voice
  • Temporal (right or left side of forehead) balding

So usually, it's a lack of bleeding, not a lot, that is seen with PCOS. But of course, this is not to say that you don't have PCOS.

What do you mean by your doctors aren't sure if you have PCOS as "they might just fall off themselves?". Ovarian cysts can disappear on their own but PCOS is a different kind of syndrome.

Also, when did all of this extra bleeding start? Is it recent?

We hope to hear back from you!

Well, I was sent to do an ultrasound by the clinic. When the nurse was explaining to me my results, I was told that I have multiple cysts on my ovaries, that they were sacs with fluid in them, that there is no need for surgery that they may or may not burst "pop" on their own. That's why they are not sure if I have POC yet I guess.

This extra bleeding has been going on for my last three periods now. First I noticed that my period was 30 to 40 days. Then the first time the extra bleeding started,about three months ago, I went to the clinic to do some test to find out what's been going on and that was the what they found. This month I only had about 2 weeks between the end of my last period and the start of this one, that seems to be going for 2weeks again.

Another thing, should I be worried about infertility, since I do get my period every month?

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Guide