Body Piercing...Is is Safe?

By June 15, 2008 - 5:10am

I am thinking about getting a body piercing...I'm kind of excited! But, I want to make sure it doesn't get infected (my sister's got infected...ouch!). What do I need to know, and where should I go, to get one?

What are you going to have pierced? You'll have to let us know how it goes!

Kristin Davis

Body piercings are generally safe (although painful to get!) and there are a few obvious clues as to a reputable piercing parlor. Some are members of the Better Business Bureau and these places of business must adhere to many (or all) of the same sanitation requirements as beauty salons.

My advice is to go somewhere that has a good reputation, is well-known, clean, sanitary, has experienced piercers and most preferably - you know others who have had good experiences there.

Make sure the piercer is wearing gloves, uses sanitized instruments and has experience.

Aftercare is really important. Depending on where you are getting pierced, you need to wash often with a good but mild soap, and twist the piercing around several times a day (to keep it from getting stuck and so that bacteria cannot get clogged or buried, thus encouraging infection, and give the piercing time to heal. Your body thinks it's new piercing is an injury so it may try to reject it. Keeping it sanitary and moving is important. And keep clothes away from it, if at all possible. If you are piercing your belly, don't wear belts for several weeks.

I have had my nose and my belly pierced at various times and have never had a problem but keep up that aftercare! Once you have ensured your piercing parlor and piecer is professional, the rest is up to you. Infected piercings are no fun at all, so aftercare is vital.

How exciting! What are you considering piercing? Here are a few considerations for piercings:

Blood-borne diseases. If the equipment used to do your piercing is contaminated with the blood of an infected person, you can contract a number of serious blood-borne diseases. These include hepatitis C, hepatitis B, tetanus and HIV — the virus that causes AIDS.
Allergic reactions. Some piercing jewelry is made of nickel or brass, which can cause allergic reactions.
Oral complications. Jewelry worn in tongue piercings can chip and crack your teeth and damage your gums. Also, tongue swelling after a new piercing can block the throat and airway.
Skin infections. Typical signs and symptoms of an infection include redness, swelling, pain and a pus-like discharge. Redness and pain caused by an infection usually start within a few days to weeks after the procedure and increase in intensity over time. Infections from piercings in the upper ear cartilage are especially serious. Antibiotics are often ineffective. Because cartilage doesn't have its own blood supply, the drug can't reach the infection site. Such infection can lead to cartilage damage and serious, permanent ear deformity.
Scars and keloids. Body piercing can cause scars and keloids — ridged areas caused by an overgrowth of scar tissue.
Tearing or trauma. Jewelry can get caught and torn out accidentally. Trauma to a piercing may require surgery or stitches to repair. If not repaired, the damaged area may develop permanent scars or deformity.

Source: Mayo Clinic

For more on caring for your piercings, visit this link